diy radius arm bushings | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

diy radius arm bushings

hi, i was wondering, i saw this post and from what i can tell it looks real good, the only problem is.......the pics dont show up anymore, i have a 91 EB explorer and my right bushing is gone, bad alighment, i was told i needed it replaced in order to get an aliment, and they said the bracket needed to be replaced as well, anyways im just trying to find a real easy way of doing it, i've never done anythng like this befor, they want 300 to do it, i only mainly work on engine stuff, so never done anything else, so any help with pics would be great

I did mine by the rivet removal method........

Doing the job

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156303&highlight=radius+arm+bushing

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146713&page=5&highlight=RAB

http://www.explorerforum.com/Singleton/exp.html

What they look like

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ca...chText=Radius+arm+bushings&brandName=Duralast

Broken Parts:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171906

From the Singleton site, and where I got my first info a couple years ago...

"I would suggest purchasing the GRADE 8 bolts prior to taking the part off, since you might have a little trouble finding them. You will need 4 bolts, I bought 4 bolts, 8 washers, and 4 nuts (all grade 8) for about $3.55 at my local NAPA store. I bought them all the same size (about 7/16" diameter with size 14 threads work perfectly). Get 3 bolts about 1 1/4" long, and 1 about 3/4" long. This is VERY IMPORTANT and will save you much grief. I bought them all the same size (1 1/4") and it caused me an extra hour and a half work.

The procedure:

First, jack up the car and place it firmly on jack stands. You will NEED the jack stands, because the passenger side is difficult to remove with the jack holding the car by the suspension. The weight of the car puts enormous pressure on that radius arm. I put the jack stand in the center of the car, and jacked the car up at the big end of the radius arm.

First, remove the two bolts holding the radius arm bracket to the frame of the car. They are pointing toward the ground.

Next, remove the 4 bolts holding the center of the two brackets together.

On the driver's side, you will also need to remove the fuel filter, contained in the frame of the car. Do this by removing the two nuts holding the bracket in place.

To remove the two rivets, (they are horizontal) I used a Dremel motor-tool with a cutting "blade" on the end (like the one they use in the commercial to cut the nail). Make sure you have several, I chewed up about 4, and I only had rivets on one side (the driver's side). If you have rivets on both sides you will need at least double that many. Remember this is VERY HARD STEEL. I cut several slots in the head of the rivet, to remove most of the material. Then I used an air chisel to remove the rest of the head of the bolt, and a steel punch to knock the rest of rivet out. This will be by far the hardest part of replacing the radius arm bushings.

Next, remove the large nut at the end of the radius arm. I used a huge adjustable wrench to remove it. Remove the nut and NOTICE THE WAY THE PARTS FIT TOGETHER. This is important. The bracket should be removed.

Remove the old bushing, and put the new one on the same way. Don't forget the heat shield on the passenger side, it protects the rubber bushing from the heat of the cat. converter next to it.

Replace the bracket, and put your new grade 8 bolts in place of the rivets. On the driver's side, use the SHORT bolt in the front, or you will have difficulty replacing the fuel filter bracket. I didn't use a short bolt, and had to cut a slot in the bracket."

I found that Pep Boys had grade 8 bolts in the appropriate sizes. A note, the passenger side can all be longer bolts."

Other random notes:

You'll need a 28 mm 6 point deep socket (not commonly available) for the radius arm nut.

Try KD Tools. http://www.kd-tools.com/

Harbor Freight has a set of sockets for a very good price.

Anyone know what to torque the large radius arm nut to when tightening?

Chilton says to torque to 113 lbs.

HTH.

Aloha, Mark

PS.......my shopping list (old prices)........

2 sets of bushings (Auto Zone).....................................$16
Nuts, bolts and washers...............................................$4
Showing your spouse that you're capable........................priceless

BTW get (grade 8, nuts and bolts):

3 bolts 7/16 inch, 1/4 inch thread- 1 1/4 inch long
1 bolt 7/16 inch, 1/4 inch thread- 1 inch long (not 3/4")
4 washers
4 lock washers
4 nuts 1/4 inch thread

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

unviewable pictures

rabidmechanic05
i was trying to view the pic of bushings. i seem to have a problem with the ford parts people. Arent there two bushing s that are viewable on the front of a 94 xlt and if so do you have a pic. Are they both bushing or is one of them a suspension. It looks like an x in the front and then behind those bushings there is another one. Am i wrong

DON'T BUY THEM FROM FORD!!!

Order a set of good poly bushings. The stock rubber is crap. I don't ever want to deal with a stealership again. Can't freakin stands parts people...

whats up guys? this thread is awesome i just got home after finding out my bushing is toast went to pep boys pick one up and a new torque wrench :) im getting ready to do it the only thing im not sure about when i take the bracket off im hoping the front end wont shoot out!! if i take the pressure off jacking it up from the middle i should b e good correct?
thanks in advance Joe

When I did mine I took disconnected the shock pulled the axle forward on each side with a come along. It didn't take much time at all and I would do it again that way.

I can not see pictures, maybe very old thread.

Mark, I clicked on the link it says "no thread specified, contact an admin if you followed a valid link"

Thanks.. Contacting [MENTION=71]Rick[/MENTION] about it as it is one of the threads that is to linked in the useful thread forum too..

When I rebuilt the useful threads forum I deleted "how to" threads which were filled with broken images. Without the pics, the threads were of little value. Sorry.

Back