do I actually have a tow package? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

do I actually have a tow package?

I went through all that when i retrofitted a towing package on my 16 NA XLT
To add the oil cooler, you need a different oil filter adapter/mounting plate and a different radiator lower hose and the hoses between cooler and radiator hose
The oil cooler mount on the oil filter adapter
Did you also add the larger rad?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you also add the larger rad?

No Peter, on my specific vehicle the radiator for a 4WD, 3.5 engine is the same ( meaning same part # FB5Z8005A) than with the towing package/engine oil cooler

I will have my Explorer back this evening so I will crawl under it and see if I do actually have the oil cooler. I changed my oil on Sunday but I don't remember seeing that.

Sorry I confused you guys lol! Mine did end up having all the ducting. So someone just replaced the valence at some point or tore it off on a curb and put a normal one on there.

Ok, well I finally have my Explorer back and checked. I do not have the oil cooler after all. I know etis showed it didn't but I wanted to double check anyway.

I went through all that when i retrofitted a towing package on my 16 NA XLT
To add the oil cooler, you need a different oil filter adapter/mounting plate and a different radiator lower hose and the hoses between cooler and radiator hose
The oil cooler mount on the oil filter adapter

Was this a difficult installation to perform? Did you do anything for the transmission, such as adding a cooler to it?

Was this a difficult installation to perform? Did you do anything for the transmission, such as adding a cooler to it?
Not for the faint of heart! See his list below...

Trim piece for tow/haul switch ( black for mine) FB5Z-7804338-BA. $90
Tow/haul switch BB5Z-13D730-EA $16
Hitch GB5Z-19D520-A $250
Bumper wiring harness 4/7 pins + back up aid GB5Z-15K868-R $65
Under bumper air duct FB5Z-7810494-A $54
Clips for above (qty 3) W716006-S439 $ 3,5 X 3
Adapter oil cooler AT4Z6881-HA $54
Oil cooler 8A8Z-6A642-A $90
Bolts for above (qty 6) W503277-S437 $.85 x 6
Lower radiator hose BB5Z-8286-N $25
Oil cooler hoses BA8Z-6A715-A $30
Rear bumper fascia ( black) GB5Z-17K835-AA $90

Total part price : $ 780

Labor:
For me it was an easy project and all together I spent about 5 hours on it. Taking my time
Couple of notes
The front lower bumper valence need to have a hole cut in it to provide air to the duct but Ford was nice enough to outline the cut on the back of the valence
The most time consuming part was to remove the original rear fascia from the bumper and replacing it with the new one. Lot of rivets to drill out and fiddly tabs

See post #34 for the video of a DIY install.

Peter

Not for the faint of heart! See his list below...

Trim piece for tow/haul switch ( black for mine) FB5Z-7804338-BA. $90
Tow/haul switch BB5Z-13D730-EA $16
Hitch GB5Z-19D520-A $250
Bumper wiring harness 4/7 pins + back up aid GB5Z-15K868-R $65
Under bumper air duct FB5Z-7810494-A $54
Clips for above (qty 3) W716006-S439 $ 3,5 X 3
Adapter oil cooler AT4Z6881-HA $54
Oil cooler 8A8Z-6A642-A $90
Bolts for above (qty 6) W503277-S437 $.85 x 6
Lower radiator hose BB5Z-8286-N $25
Oil cooler hoses BA8Z-6A715-A $30
Rear bumper fascia ( black) GB5Z-17K835-AA $90

Total part price : $ 780

Labor:
For me it was an easy project and all together I spent about 5 hours on it. Taking my time
Couple of notes
The front lower bumper valence need to have a hole cut in it to provide air to the duct but Ford was nice enough to outline the cut on the back of the valence
The most time consuming part was to remove the original rear fascia from the bumper and replacing it with the new one. Lot of rivets to drill out and fiddly tabs

Thanks so much for all that information. I have one of the silver bumpers that don't seem to have the easy cut out, so I'm planning on just going with an aftermarket hitch. I'll most likely add oil cooler and tow button. I'm just wondering if a separate transmission cooler would be needed vs the duct since it's the 6f50 transmission that I have vs the 6f55 that comes with tow package. Have you towed significant weight with your setup? If so, did it perform well? Thanks for all of your help.

Thanks so much for all that information. I have one of the silver bumpers that don't seem to have the easy cut out, so I'm planning on just going with an aftermarket hitch. I'll most likely add oil cooler and tow button. I'm just wondering if a separate transmission cooler would be needed vs the duct since it's the 6f50 transmission that I have vs the 6f55 that comes with tow package. Have you towed significant weight with your setup? If so, did it perform well? Thanks for all of your help.
That list was copied from Luc's thread.
My ExSport comes stock with towing and I've easily pulled my Searay 23 footer and trailer, up and down a back road to the cottage.

Just pulled it up on etis.ford.com and it says your vehicle was built "less trailer towing", so now factory tow package.

If it had the tow package it would have said "With Class III Trailer Towing"
How do I look up my VIN to find out if my 16 has a tow package?

How do I look up my VIN to find out if my 16 has a tow package?
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Do have the hitch with a cover? You haven't entered the trim you have so I don't know for sure if you should have the cut-out in the front valance.
I haven't found a working site yet for looking up a VIN in order to pull up a Window Sticker. If per chance you have that 'sticker' it will show if you have the factory tow package. You dealer may be able to do that for you.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Do have the hitch with a cover? You haven't entered the trim you have so I don't know for sure if you should have the cut-out in the front valance.
I haven't found a working site yet for looking up a VIN in order to pull up a Window Sticker. If per chance you have that 'sticker' it will show if you have the factory tow package. You dealer may be able to do that for you.

Peter
I have a Base trim. There is no cover over my hitch receiver.

What about the front cut-out? See the following posts.
Do you have the 'Tow' button?

Peter

I'd say that you don't have the factory tow package so if you do have a tow hitch, you'd be limited to 2000 lbs.

Peter

Back