Do I need my egr tube? what does it do? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Do I need my egr tube? what does it do?

jtettenb

Reaction score
City, State
MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 4.0
I understand that my egr has something to do with emissions. The tube rotted through and needs replacement. My question is do I really need to replace it? Wont keeping it off get me colder air in my intake? and if I take it off is there a way to keep the check engine light from comming on? Like a "dummy" sensor.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You don't need it. Your mileage will suffer though. The EGR system is used at cruising RPM's so not as much fuel is needed. Without those inert gasses being drawn in, the computer will have to add fuel so the mixture does not lean out.

EGR stands for exaust gas recycling. It runs exaust gasses back into the combustion chamber to burn some of the unburnt hydrocarbons in the system. Your vehicles computer assumes that it is hooked up. Removing it will lean out the mixture at cruise and at best, screw with your cruise gas mileage (like has already been said). If you leave it broken the way it is, or worse, remove it without capping the intake, you will be sucking in unmetered, unfiltered air, which will really screw up your mixture. When my EGR tube rotted out in my Cougar, I got a junkyard one to put in. I haven't looked back since.

Good luck!

It won't lean out. The recycled air is already mixed with fuel. You will lose some fuel mileage, but it will not lean out. I have mine capped and have not noticed any problems or received any CEL.

It may lean out because of the EGR valve allowing unmetered air into the intake. au01st, I'm surprised you aren't getting a CEL from it. Are you sure your CEL bulb is working?

Having a hole in the EGR tube won't cause a CEL, but removing the entire EGR system or simply unplugging it from the engine harness should cause a CEL.

I have a cap on the intake side on the hole behind the MAF, and I have a breather on the side of the EGR coming out of the engine.

edit: unless I'm thinking of the wrong project...too many long days and late nights.

The EGR tube connects to the EGR valve which should be just after the throttle body on the upper intake. The other end of the tube connects to the exhaust manifold. What you are describing sounds like removing the vaccum line between the air tube before the TB which connects to the valve cover. That vaccum line is part of the PCV system. Removing that line and putting in a breather allows unmetered air to get into the intake via the PCV valve, thereby screwing up the air fuel mix. The entire intake system should be sealed up after the MAF to prevent this. This means no breather caps.

Believe it or not, those exhaust vapors are cooler than the temps in the combustion chamber, so they help to cool down the combustion chamber this reduces oxides of nitrogen which will make mother nature happy, but it also cuts down on detonation (pinging). That will make your valves and tops of pistons happy. I sure wouldn't want to burn a hole in my pistons. It's on there for a reason. Hook it up.

Mine is leaking,or has a hole in it and my car started to ping, so I am assuming the 2 are related as the earlier posts indicate. $200 to get a new one is what I'm paying. Probably a ripoff but having ford do it.
You can hear it pretty clear on any type of load on the engine.

The EGR system is there for one reason and one reason only...to reduce oxides of nitrogen. It accomplishes this by introducing inert (no oxygen to burn) gasses into the combustion chamber and thus cools the combustion process. This is how you reduce those emissions.

It should not effect fuel mileage by changing the air fuel ratio. The O2 sensors will compensate for the change in mixture and keep the A/F ratio correct. It can affect mileage in another way. See the next paragraph.

It can cause engine damage to remove the EGR system. One of the benefits to EGR is it allows more engine timing. This is programmed in to the ECM. If you remove the EGR, the engine can and will detonate. When I see a complaint of pinging and detonation, the first place I look is the EGR system. If you get pinging, many cars have knock sensors that will pull timing. That is what can hurt mileage and performance.

A proper EGR system is good for your pocketbook, good for the environment, good for your engine, and will cause no loss in performance as it's basically only active under cruise conditions. It makes no sense to remove or disable it.

I had mine do the same thing so I just went down to the local auto parts stoor and got a piece of hose, and because it was so short he gave it to me for free.

Yellowford -- I have the same problem with my 95 Ranger and I was going to repair the EGR tube in the same way. Do you remember what size the piece of hose was? Also, did you cut out the rusted part and then clamp it? It looks like the tube has about a 5/8 diameter, so a 3/4 hose looks like it might be big enough to slip over and clamp.

Knock sensor

Unlike the SOHC V6, the OHV V6 has no knock sensor to prevent piston/valve damage due to detonation. EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) is disabled at engine idle and moderate to full throttle. When fully functional, EGR extends the life of the engine, reduces nitrous oxide emissions and does not impact performance. Unfortunately, it does increase the carbon build up in the intake system.

I have 94 explorer 4.0. Replaced the egr valve and solenoid as well as dpfe sensor and repaired the tube & pressure tested it. I am still having
engine light coming on & off w/ acceleration only, the code is still telling me egr is not right for some reason, very baffled, any idea's? Do i need to worry about damaging motor?

EGR is good for the environment but it’s a band aid for 90’s and 00’s emission standards. When most manufacturers figured out how to get rid of them in late 90’s early 00’s they did. The the EPA came in with the 2009 regulations that made a 2008 VW Diesel a mass polluter in 2009. So manufactures had to put egrs back on, only on some cars.

Take the vacuum hose that goes to the egr and put it on the small nipple of the dpfe, leave the big nipple disconnect. Plug off the exhaust nipples with one of the silicone hoses and watch your part throttle response improve and MPG improve if you don’t use the extra power

Replace it with a new one. Rock auto is the best for price, it's only $50 for the v8 tube

Try not to get one with a crinkle / accordion looking section , there should be solid ones, the crinkle always breaks first

Back