Do I need to remove timing chain to replace my head gaskets? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Do I need to remove timing chain to replace my head gaskets?

Fordman999

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer XLT
Just wondering if on my 4.0 SOHC V6 I would have to remove my timing chain to replace my gaskets. I guess not I don't need to remove the whole block. I can clean the gasket surface and place new gasket without removing the cylinder block? is that right??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The last time I checked, the cams were on top of the heads.

The last time I checked, the cams were on top of the heads.

I don't know much in regards to engines and have never opened an engine but I'm assuming yes. I saw 2 chained for each side?

I don't know much in regards to engines and have never opened an engine but I'm assuming yes. I saw 2 chained for each side?

there are several gaskets? intake manifold, valve cover and cylinder head gaskets. if you're referring to head gaskets then the cylinder heads needs to be removed and the timing chains too. the intake manifold and valve cover are very straightforward to do since no removal of head or timing chain is involved.

Pretty sure you'd need or want to remove the engine to do this job on the 4.0 SOHC.

Only way to learn:thumbsup::D

Yep you're right Madbutcher, and I've taken the time to reasearch and look at my engine and I do have the Haynes Manual and am going to remove the upper mainfold and replace those gaskets and the valve covers and replace those cover gaskets and buy new isolator bolts since my current ones are worn. The head gasket is what seems to be a hard job and will require removing the valve heads and that is a bit much for me but hey maybe in the future I will try it. I do see there is a certain amount of inch lbs to tighten the screws and they have to be done in a certain pattern. But hey I'm gonna do it. Only way to learn

Yep you're right Madbutcher, and I've taken the time to reasearch and look at my engine and I do have the Haynes Manual and am going to remove the upper mainfold and replace those gaskets and the valve covers and replace those cover gaskets and buy new isolator bolts since my current ones are worn. The head gasket is what seems to be a hard job and will require removing the valve heads and that is a bit much for me but hey maybe in the future I will try it. I do see there is a certain amount of inch lbs to tighten the screws and they have to be done in a certain pattern. But hey I'm gonna do it. Only way to learn

For the amount of time and money to R&R the heads, you could probably buy a used engine and drop it in. Just another idea to ponder.

For the amount of time and money to R&R the heads, you could probably buy a used engine and drop it in. Just another idea to ponder.

Hey Number4 the only thing that scares me about buying a used engine is that it too will give me problems in the future. My current car I bought brand new and have put a lot of care into it. I've done transfer case fluid change, front rear differential fluids, abs sensors, brake pressure switch,new ignition coil pack, new plugs, wires, seafoam engine cleaning, synthetic oil changes etc...

I would hate to get a used engine that was completely negleted and in far worse condition than my current one. That's my only fear I have to start all over again with a used engine.

Odds are when you pull the valve cover the timing guides will be smashed as well. I bet you will be far ahead, by the time you buy the specialty tools, and parts, buying a used engine from a wrecker.

Odds are when you pull the valve cover the timing guides will be smashed as well. I bet you will be far ahead, by the time you buy the specialty tools, and parts, buying a used engine from a wrecker.

I'm not removing the timing chains, now I heard that in the event I have a blown gasket which I really don't think I have yet cause no white smoke out of exhaust or radiator fluid not bubbling or blowing on startup, I am going to my the HC tester to make sure. But I have heard that BARS stop leak head gasket repair actually works and is the only product that actually creates a seal over the small gaps. Not sure but I heard that stuff actually works, also they say it's the only product on the market that actually works. Anyone tried it??

Back