Do the 4 way hazard flashers have their own wiring? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Do the 4 way hazard flashers have their own wiring?

RangerX

Elite Ranger
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Omao, Kauai
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Ranger XLT 4X4
I just used my hazards for the first time and noticed only one works, the passenger front. Checked my blinkers and all work as blinkers. Checked my parking lights and all work.
Is there separate wires running to each corner for the hazards? I wouldn’t think so but...
Or where would the signal be getting lost?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe it is a separate relay but not separate wiring.

idk this is posted in the first gen forum but that goes from hazard switch to turn signal switch according to haynes and theres switches in there then to the relay... could be the turn signal switch or the relay...

If a relay went bad, wouldn’t it cause none of the four to flash? I’m getting the one corner that flashes normally...

If a relay went bad, wouldn’t it cause none of the four to flash?
here,yep.

Separate wiring definitely doesn't exist for turn to each lamp and for hazard to each lamp. Believe issue has to be internals of multifunction switch. Though a 75% functionality failure of function-never-used is hard to imagine. I've never opened one of the switches up but I would suspect a corrosion of non soldered contacts. Or plastic. Stupid plastic.

I agree, the multi function switch isn't passing voltage. Being the cheap sob that I am, I would take the plastic off the column and hit the switch with contact cleaner.

Believe issue has to be internals of multifunction switch. Though a 75% functionality failure of function-never-used is hard to imagine.
It’s a 94 and I’ve only owned it two years, possibly the previous owner(s) used the flashers a lot.
Being the cheap sob that I am, I would take the plastic off the column and hit the switch with contact cleaner.
I’m a cheap sob too so I’ll try that. If that doesn’t fix it, I just won’t worry about it, I can live without them. I owned cars before flashers were a thing!

yea im guessing the relay is actually good I just tested my trucks hazards u wouldn't believe it... I got just the front right only to work by not letting the switch come all the way out but they all do work im guessing its probabally sticky inside of there in the switch itself must be where it does all the computations lol at first when i switched it on the rear left was out... I tested the blinker it worked so i played with the switch a little sure enough just the front right was going off try pulling the switch out after you depress it but yea its probably the hazard switch not the relay..

How interesting that you got yours to do the exact same thing, to the same corner! Yeah probably just gunked up.

Back