Do you have to have codes cleared after O2 sensor replacement? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Do you have to have codes cleared after O2 sensor replacement?

The Grayt 1

Reaction score
City, State
Lubbock, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer XLT 5.0
Do I have to have the code cleared after replacing the sensor? I disconnected the battery and the code went away for a day or 2 and then came back. Had the code cleared at autozone and it has not come back but it has only been a day.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the site. If you disconnected the battery, it clears the code.. Obviously Autozone didn't give you right diagnosis.. More than likely the OBDII code was a generic code which could be a number of things, get your truck re-scanned for codes and ask what the code # is.. It should be something like P0174.. Post the results of the scan on here and we'll try to give you a better diagnosis.. You never want to rely on the advice of Autozone's personnel unfortunately they don't have the knowledge of vehicles to give you a correct answer.

Yep, what Blee said. Get the exact code #'s and post them. We can then help figure out your problem.

alright the code number is #133 what does that mean?

133!!!!!!

Oh my that's bad, you should put a brick on the throttle and jump out before it reaches the edge of the cliff, RUNAWAY RUNAWAY!!!! :p

P0133 = Heated oxygen sensor 1(HO2S), bank 1, - slow response

Probable cause = Heating inopperative, wiring, HO2S (bad O2)

Did you have all of the sensors replaced? If so, then it may just be that the wire connections aren't all the way seated, etc.

If not, it's likely that either more than one sensor was bad, or the wrong side was replaced.

Is that the new code after you put the 02 sensor in or is it the old one?

that is the one that is there after the 02 replacement. I replaced the drivers side one right after where the header and exhaust pipe meet before the first cat

my Chiltons manual says code 133 is Fuel control system fault.

the code came back what could it be now?

So what all have you done? Give us a summary on which o2 sensors you've replaced and what other thing you have cleaned or changed? Have you cleaned the MAF? When you say the "code came back" which code? Did you have it rescanned or did the CEL just come back on?? The more info and specifics you give us the more we can help.

code 133 came on originally I replaced the drivers sdie fron o2 sensor. drove for 3 days no code. Then the code came on again.

The "code came on again"? You mean the CEL (check engine light) came on again. If that is the case I would get the codes scanned again. It may be the same or it may be a whole new code.

I had it scanned again and it came up with the same damm code

So are you sure you replaced the correct o2 sensor?

Bump.

yes, unless there are 02 sensors actually on the exhaust manifolds? are there?

Not sure about a '96. A Chiltons book would have those answers. A chiltons is a must have when doing your own trouble shooting.

Back