Does that thing got a Hemi? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Does that thing got a Hemi?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Chrysler could get more efficiency out of the Hemi if they wanted to. With dual plug technology and the superior combustion characteristics of the hemispherical combustion chamber, they could set up a lean-burn mode for cruising that should increase mileage considerably.

Chrysler engines used to get better mileage with carburetors than the newest EFI versions! My buddy had an old '85 Ramcharger with a 318 2bbl, and with 3.55 gears and no overdrive, it could manage a consistent 18 MPG on the highway. Power wasn't all that great, but it got remarkable fuel mileage for what it was. Same goes for the old dinosaur Slant 6. In my buddy's Dodge Mirada, 25 highway MPG was easily attainable. Again, with no overdrive. Emissions tests showed it was cleaner by more than twice as much compared to a '89 Dodge Omni 2.2 that got sniffed right before it.
The thing couldn't pull a pregnant mouse off an anthill...85 HP doesn't get you far in a car that heavy, but it was quite the fuel miser, and I don't know of anyone that ever broke a Slant 6.

So when can we expect to see an Explorer hybrid?

Bob

cnn said:
The closely related Hemi-powered Durango and Aspen are estimated to get about 15 miles per gallon in combined city and highway driving, according to the EPA. That would increase to just under 19 miles per gallon overall in the hybrid versions, according to Chrysler's estimates.

Still seems low to me...

Still seems low to me...

Its the weight of the vehicle. It takes a lot of energy to accelerate a large mass. Still, its a good improvement over the non-hybrid version. I just don't know if its enough to get people to buy them.

Back