• Register Today It's free!

Dome light issues please help!

TwiztidRat

Reaction score
City, State
blah
Year, Model & Trim Level
blah blah
Hey guys my dome lights refuse to turn off after parking my truck and shutting the doors. This is the list of the things I already did to try to fix it.

-I had both the latches replaced on the passenger and driver's doors.

-Checked for any electrical shorts or ground issues.

-Timer relay was just fixed this improved it a bit but still not totally.

-Had the hatch door looked at, and at first it wouldn't shut tight and lock now it does, any chance of that is ruled out.

I'm not sure what else to look for on this matter. The dome light will go off if you have the engine running, it would actually stay on even after this until I replaced the relay. Otherwise at this point I don't know what else can be causing this major annoyance. I need some more help because at this point I'm just about to pull the bulbs out and have no dome lights. :(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The switches are in the door and hatch latch mechanism. Use an ohm meter and find the latch/switch thats not working correctly.

When the engine is running, and a working door latch is opened, a chime will sound. Find the door which does not set off the chime. The door ajar switch is inside the latch. I suspect the rear hatch latch.

That's the strange thing I have no door ajar light or chime going on. If that was the case I could easily trace it to the culprit door. Should I try slamming the hatch? The springs and mechanism was just fixed on the hatch so I don't see how that can be the one.

What do you mean ... "Timer relay was just fixed this improved it a bit but still not totally."..... ???? what / how was this fixed?

I think when the relay was bad the lights would stay on after you closed the door with it running. After that was replaced they would go off.

I think when the relay was bad the lights would stay on after you closed the door with it running. After that was replaced they would go off.

If this is an Explorer (and forgive me I did not see which year) then the glass hatch door has it's own electrical connector that has a switch on it that will keep the lights on. If that little switch is stuck it won't turn off the interior lights. So my suggestion is to lossen or remove the rear cover and find the 2 screws that hold it in place and remove it from the latch. Depress the switch with it still connected and see if the light goes off. If nothing happens remove the electrical connector and try to CLOSE the switch electrically by touching the 2 contacts together which if it turns off the interior light you found the culprit.

Hope that helps I was in there today fixing the rear power door lock actuator.

Regards

Scott

Hey thanks for the advice I'll check more into the rear hatch and see what I can find.

Hey thanks for the advice I'll check more into the rear hatch and see what I can find.

Hi, I'm dealing with the same problem with my 98 explorer.
Just wanted to find out if you had solved the problem with your dome light?

Nope. All the doors check out fine, nothing on a computer detects any bad latches or relays. My only other option is to try replacing the wiring harness.

Bumping this instead of making a repeated topic. Dome lights still don't turn off. I think after 15-20 mins they go out when the engine is off, I been reading up and people talk about a broken ground wire. My radio doesn't stay on when I turn the engine off but my mirrors and door locks still work. I'm just gonna wait at this point till it warms up to look at it. The weird thing is when the lights are on if I push on the dimmer knob they go out, and as soon as I start driving they go out. Just odd.

Bumping this instead of making a repeated topic. Dome lights still don't turn off. I think after 15-20 mins they go out when the engine is off, I been reading up and people talk about a broken ground wire. My radio doesn't stay on when I turn the engine off but my mirrors and door locks still work. I'm just gonna wait at this point till it warms up to look at it. The weird thing is when the lights are on if I push on the dimmer knob they go out, and as soon as I start driving they go out. Just odd.

You did check that your dimmer switch isn't pushed all the way up, right?

Yes. I can push it all the way down to manually turn them off, but then my dash lights are dimmed at night which gets old fast. If I apply pressure on the dimmer knob pushing it in toward the dash the lights go off till I let it go.

I know this will sound stupid, but it will help me help you. when the truck is off with the door open, and the headlights on does it start chime? Alerting you that the headlights are on?

Yes. I can push it all the way down to manually turn them off, but then my dash lights are dimmed at night which gets old fast. If I apply pressure on the dimmer knob pushing it in toward the dash the lights go off till I let it go.

You can manually push it down to turn off?
Mine doesn't do that... :(

I killed my battery the other day cause of the stupid dome lights being on while I was in the car working on it.

Yeah, the earlier explorers don't have that feature. It's still a pain in the ass though cause at night the dash lights stay dim so I have to turn them back on, and have the dome lights on until I start moving the vehicle. Makes it hard to see for a few seconds.

This indicates that it's likely that you need to replace the dimmer switch to fix your issue. Lots of them in the JYs. Good luck.

I know this will sound stupid, but it will help me help you. when the truck is off with the door open, and the headlights on does it start chime? Alerting you that the headlights are on?

Sorry for missing your post. Yes the light chime thing goes off.

This indicates that it's likely that you need to replace the dimmer switch to fix your issue. Lots of them in the JYs. Good luck.

That's what I'm thinking, though the switch does still dim the lights so I thought it was still working.

Back