• Register Today It's free!

Dome light on 2004 Explorer

Joscibo

Reaction score
City, State
Central Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer
The dome light when opening the door does not come on. When you turn the dial on the dash it doesn't work there neither. The only way you can light up the interior is hitting one of the switches on the physical dome light itself. Is there something to look for to fix this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would start by checking the bulbs, then the fuses. The fuse information is contained in the owner's manual. If you don't have an owner's manual, Dead Link Removed.

Post up your results and we will go from there.

Good luck. :):thumbsup:

Please keep us posted as feedback helps others reading this post looking for a fix to the same or similar issue!

I would start by checking the bulbs, then the fuses. The fuse information is contained in the owner's manual. If you don't have an owner's manual, Dead Link Removed.

Post up your results and we will go from there.

Good luck. :):thumbsup:

Please keep us posted as feedback helps others reading this post looking for a fix to the same or similar issue!

The fact that the light works with the switch on the physical light makes me wonder if the bulb could be bad or even the fuse for that matter. The overhead light works for drivers side and passenger physical switch or button on the dome light itself. It's when you open the doors it doesn't come on or with the roll of the dial on the dash. I can check those things tomorrow. Also to mention the seatbelt dinger goes off when in park and idling which I believe to be faulty. I believe it's supposed to chime when pulled out of park?

I will send you the troubleshooting steps for the interior lights when I get home tonight.

I'll also check the operation of my seatbelt chime. I always wear my seatbelt. As a result, I never hear the chime.

I will send you the troubleshooting steps for the interior lights when I get home tonight.

I'll also check the operation of my seatbelt chime. I always wear my seatbelt. As a result, I never hear the chime.

I wear mine to but some times I have it off if I'm in the car on the phone or waiting for kids.

The dome light when opening the door does not come on. When you turn the dial on the dash it doesn't work there neither. The only way you can light up the interior is hitting one of the switches on the physical dome light itself. Is there something to look for to fix this?

If its your back Dome light then its because the one that comes on when the door opens and the one that turns on with the switch is a completly diffrent bulb, meaning your bulb is burnt out.

If its your back Dome light then its because the one that comes on when the door opens and the one that turns on with the switch is a completly diffrent bulb, meaning your bulb is burnt out.

It's completely dark in the vehicle when you open any door. The light between the drivers and passenger seat only works when you hit the switch or button on the light itself. Is the cargo area supposed illuminate when you open the door?

It's completely dark in the vehicle when you open any door. The light between the drivers and passenger seat only works when you hit the switch or button on the light itself. Is the cargo area supposed illuminate when you open the door?

Hmm, I Mean I Dont Know, I Would Honestly Buy A Set Of New Bulbs (6 Bulbs) And See If That Changes Anything.

I found that the bulb was bad in the center dome light. Fixed! I am wondering about the rear cargo light it has 3 positions off, center and all the way over. I assume its off then either on or dome light by dash or door? There is only one bulb in the cargo lamp.

Standing at tailgate and facing front of vehicle. Left position is Off, middle position is "normal position" where it turn cargo light on when doors, hatch or hatch glass is opened, far right position is "on position" where the light stays on even when doors and hatch are shut.

Back