• Register Today It's free!

Dome light question

panetta6pack

Reaction score
City, State
Queens, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Mountaineer
Ok Ive searched this fourm and havent seen my problem anywhere yet. I have a 02 mountaineer and the dome light dosent work, unless the dome switch is in the off position. all the doors work properly meaning if I open the door the door ajar shows in the message system, if I use the remote the dome light dosent come on either, unless the dome switch is in the off ( turned all the way down) I think I will check the wire in the door but here is the odd thing. the fog lights come on all the time. if I have the lights in the auto position the fogs ligyt come on no matter what ? is this normal ? Yes the dome light is pulled out but I thought they only come on with the lights. My wifes Expedition only work if the headlights are on. I bought my Mountaineer used and dont know if it has been modified at all, or even if there are mods you can do on it. but any help Please!!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, if the head lamp switch is in auto and pulled out, the fog lamps will turn on with the fob when unlocking the doors. As for the dome light, I think I understand you correctly, the dome light does not turn on? Make sure your dash light switch is not rolled all the way down till it clicks. You can check the dome lights by rolling the switch all the way up till it clicks.

Ok Ive searched this fourm and havent seen my problem anywhere yet. I have a 02 mountaineer and the dome light dosent work, unless the dome switch is in the off position. all the doors work properly meaning if I open the door the door ajar shows in the message system, if I use the remote the dome light dosent come on either, unless the dome switch is in the off ( turned all the way down) I think I will check the wire in the door but here is the odd thing. the fog lights come on all the time. if I have the lights in the auto position the fogs ligyt come on no matter what ? is this normal ? Yes the dome light is pulled out but I thought they only come on with the lights. My wifes Expedition only work if the headlights are on. I bought my Mountaineer used and dont know if it has been modified at all, or even if there are mods you can do on it. but any help Please!!!!!

Welcome aboard!! :salute:

Sounds like you may be having problems with your headlight switch.

I am going to PM you some stuff from my shop manuals for checking the proper operation of the switch, as well as the fog light wiring diagram, and the pinpoint test for the fog lights staying on all the time.

Good luck with the fix. :D:thumbsup:

Please keep us posted as feedback helps others reading this post looking for a fix to the same or similar issue!

panetta6pack, check you PM. I have sent some good info! :biggthump

thanks alot i will twst it and post my results and let you know what i found

ok here is what happens everything works the way it should , when I shut the truck off the radio stays on till I open a door, But no dome light, the door ajar comes on when the doors are open but no dome light, if I roll the dimmer down till it clicks into the off position the dome lights work perfect,but now my dash lights are so dim I can barely see them ! any one have a idea, didnt test the switch yet since I didnt look how to remove the dash panel yet, Ill try this week maybe tomorrow.

You shouldn't need to remove the dash panel to get to the switch. I will check my shop manuals when I get home tonight.

Thanks Rondo sent you a PM. Is there a way to test the dimmer switch? I think it might be that, because everything else works perfectly. I bought this truck used and dont know if it was modded at all is there a headlight mod or swap that someone might have done taht could have caused this ?

Just a question is there a line drawing of the headlight switch with the dimmer, I think the ground might be bad if I open the door the door ajar shows up in the info panel and if I roll the dimmer to the off (all the way down) the dome light works perfectly. but the dash lights are almost off.

I'll see about sending the wiring diagram tomorrow.

Back