• Register Today It's free!

door hinge

KobeJ05

Reaction score
City, State
Marina, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 explorer 157k miles
ok so i bought complete door hinge for my 94 explorer from the junkyard. i went trying them on and i noticed on my top door hinge (the original one) has a stud on it so i have to unbolt it from the inside behind the dash. but the 94 explorer i pulled the hinge off in the junk yard has the nut on the outside instead of the inside. so my question is how the heck do i get the nut off on the inside behind the dash? more likely i have to remove the dash. but i wanted to see if someone on here has a better idea. ya i know i should of bought new pins. i figured this might be easier. well the top pick is the original hinge with the nut inside. so basicly my original hinge has a stud on it that you put a nut on the inside and the explorer from the junkyard had the stud on the body faceing out where you put the nut on the outside. both explorers are the same year. hope im makeing sense here.

jul03001.jpg
and this is the one from the junk yard.
2222222wc.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok, first, is there something wrong with the metal of the hinge on the truck, or are you having bushing problems. It is so much eaiser to replace the bushings then the hinge. There is a sticky about replacing the bushings. takes a hour total to do both of them. If you have to replace the entire hinge, then you need to pull the dash out to get at the nut on the back of that bolt.

thanks for the fast respond no there isnt or shouldnt be anything wrong with the original hinge just the pin is bad. firgure i found a set and just swap them. but it was weird how come i didnt have to take out the dash to get the top hinge out from the junk yard? mine and the junk yard one is a 94.

...So, a few days ago you asked for help...

I told you what to do...

...you did the exact opposite...

As far as I'm concerned, you are on your own...

Good Luck.

the nut on the junk yard explorer tells me that somone pulled the hinge once apon a time, and flipped the nut around when they put it back on. Again, dont replace the hinge if its only the pin. The old hinge most likley has very little life left in its pin. replace the pin and bushings.

...So, a few days ago you asked for help...

I told you what to do...

...you did the exact opposite...

As far as I'm concerned, you are on your own...

Good Luck.
dont need to get snooty. i already bought the hinge and cant return it whats wrong with just replaceing it for now? i was planning on keeping the old hinge so i can rebuild them.

the nut on the junk yard explorer tells me that somone pulled the hinge once apon a time, and flipped the nut around when they put it back on. Again, dont replace the hinge if its only the pin. The old hinge most likley has very little life left in its pin. replace the pin and bushings.

ya thats what im gonna do im gonna take it in and just have it done for 70 bucks and have the pins replaced. thanks :)

Why would u go through all the trouble of ripping the dash apart, swapping the entire hinge for more money, when u can just simply replace the hinge PIN that is causing the actual sagging? Its like 5 bucks at the auto store and you don't have to touch the dash. You may need some special tool to get the pin out (Air Hammer, Chisel, Drift, etc) but other than that it's pretty easy. There are plenty of threads on how to change a Hinge pin.

Work smarter, NOT harder!

Back