Door hinge

Mickalo

Reaction score
City, State
Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Explorer w/4.0 4wd
2010 ford explorer XLT:
the upper door hinge on the driver's side is starting to do the popping noise when open/close door now. I was planning on getting one of the Dorman hinge& bushing kits. Will this do the trick to fix the door hinge or do I need to replace the whole hinge assy (hope not the complete hinge assy., is not cheap)

thanks,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2010 ford explorer XLT:
the upper door hinge on the driver's side is starting to do the popping noise when open/close door now. I was planning on getting one of the Dorman hinge& bushing kits. Will this do the trick to fix the door hinge or do I need to replace the whole hinge assy (hope not the complete hinge assy., is not cheap)

thanks,

Not to worry. The remedy is cheap and easy. Get a needle tip for your grease gun. http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5574912417&icep_item=400458701267

Drill two holes in the stay cover, per the picture. Drill the top one high up. The drill bit will will probably break thru into a void. Be careful when you drill the bottom one as it will hit the core inside the cover.

Apply grease to the lower hole till it comes out the upper hole. I cleaned the cover well and applied a patch of Gorilla Duct Tape. In the top hole I ran a little screw. I did this all three years ago and all is still well. I have been waiting to see if I need to do it on the other doors but so far.....

Explorer%20door%20hinge_zps2z7e9uke.jpg

thanks for the fix. I see the top hole but not clear where you drilled the bottom one in the pic. What size drill bit did you use ?

There is another thread on this as we have to do it on our 09. The bottom hole is just large enough for the needle valve to slide in. Otherwise grease will come back out there.

thanks for the fix. I see the top hole but not clear where you drilled the bottom one in the pic. What size drill bit did you use ?
The bottom hole is behind the black tape patch. I used a 1/16" bit on both holes.

Thanks Ford, for the stupid design! No people will buy a replacement part for this, even you designed it to fail!

Dry or regular PTFE lubricant might be used thru small 1/16in DIA top or side hole on drilled door ratchet cylinder.

Not to worry. The remedy is cheap and easy. Get a needle tip for your grease gun. Electronics, Cars, Fashion, Collectibles & More | eBay

Drill two holes in the stay cover, per the picture. Drill the top one high up. The drill bit will will probably break thru into a void. Be careful when you drill the bottom one as it will hit the core inside the cover.

Apply grease to the lower hole till it comes out the upper hole. I cleaned the cover well and applied a patch of Gorilla Duct Tape. In the top hole I ran a little screw. I did this all three years ago and all is still well. I have been waiting to see if I need to do it on the other doors but so far.....

View attachment 313489
This is the best advice I've seen on this forum since I joined in 2016. It saved me over $400 just in parts alone for 4 doors. When I purchased the truck from Carmax, the doors sounded like they had been hit in a demolition derby. They just sprayed lithium grease over everything and made a big mess.

Back