Door lock advice?

sirhk100

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
las vegas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91
I did a search and only found pretty much the opposite of the issue I have. They said replace the whole door handle...

'91 explorer. Pass front door.

Physically push the lock down, get out and close the door. The lock button stays down. Everything seems right. But then simply try to open the door from the exterior and the lock physically pops up and the door opens. So basically my door won't lock. The exterior handle is functioning just like the interior more or less...

Also, when I hit the power lock the motor makes a really loud functioning noise.

I just picked up the expo yesterday. Working on the gremlins... Locking the doors is the #1 gremlin, well, actually #2... I had to do a front wheel bearing that exploded on my way home with it first I guess to make it mobile again. LOL

Glad to be back in the family! It's serious deja vu of my old '92...

Khris

Well, in case anyone reads this and has the same issue. I pulled the door panel off the inside. With the window rolled up and door open. Cycle the lock up and down. You'll see a part where it pivets on a lever about midway down the height of the door. Now move the outside door handle up and down and you'll see it pivits in the same area. Feel around and you can kind of figure out how each moves and you'll notice they're VERY close to each other. I simply physically bent them each a little bit away from each other and it's working great now.

Next problem though, my rear drivers side door worked great all day yesterday. Had it opened and closed a few times. Then last night I couldn't open it. Inside or out, wouldn't open. Almost acts like the door lock itself is stuck. I guess I'm having bad luck with the locks right now. I gotta see if i can get the panel off that one while the door is closed I guess and see what's interfering with that lock now too. LOL

Hey I don't know if you have it fixed right now, but I have the same problem with my drivers side rear door. A semi-solution is once the doors are locked, pull the exterior door handle once, go inside, manually unlock the door, then try to open the door from either side. This always works for me, maybe it'll work for you.

Back