Door & locks windows malfunctioning | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Door & locks windows malfunctioning

victor35ma

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT
Hello everyone,

I got a Ford explorer 98 xlt, front left door window won't go up & down from door switch, yes it does go from driver door main control windows, also happen to be the automatic door locks don't work at all from doors control sw. (yes it works form driver control switches) Please any help is Welcome. I've cheched fuses all Ok.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome it might be the motor is going bad

It sounds like you have a problem in your switch. Like it got rained in a little too much. Try replacing the switches.

It sounds like you have a problem in your switch. Like it got rained in a little too much. Try replacing the switches.

Hi. Thanks all for your responce.

Today I replaced door sw as you recommended... no change. Also I wonder..Why doors locks are disabled in all doors? ( Not working at all). It could be easy for my to figure it out if I had specific schematic. does any body can share it in the forum?

Look yea in the driver side door post area where the cable passes between the body and door.... there is likely some broken wires there related to your window problem. On your lock problem, does the lock switch in the rear cargo area work (if there is one there ... don't know if 98's have these)?

Look yea in the driver side door post area where the cable passes between the body and door.... there is likely some broken wires there related to your window problem. On your lock problem, does the lock switch in the rear cargo area work (if there is one there ... don't know if 98's have these)?

does the lock switch in the rear cargo area work (if there is one there ... don't know if

Thanks for asking. No it doesn't work too...Wow by the way I didn't notice that till you mentioned it. I'm able to open it with my key only. I'll give a look at wiring harness by drivers door tomorrow morning.

thanks again.

Victor, the 95-01 wiring is all pretty much the same, check out the schematics and connector diagrams I have posted here

Victor, the 95-01 wiring is all pretty much the same, check out the schematics and connector diagrams I have posted here

Thanks for this info. I'll find out the way to print it out. seems to be it.
also Antitheft and Alarm Systems will be very enlightening, appreciated.

you can select the download tab and you get a choice to download to your pc as a plain text file or as an adobe .pdf file, either one can be printed out like that very easily. I would recommend the .pdf option though as that's how they were uploaded

you can select the download tab and you get a choice to download to your pc as a plain text file or as an adobe .pdf file, either one can be printed out like that very easily. I would recommend the .pdf option though as that's how they were uploaded

Yes Indeed. I got it already, thank you.

Ok... more now...since you have told me that your rear cargo don't work neither, it is unlikely you have a break in the door post for your locks (windows yes its still possibility). For your locks, your problem is likely a broken splice I think that is near the rear passenger side area ... common problem. Also check the relays in the cargo area (in the jack access panel) to make sure that they are seated properly.... cause I thought that the rear cargo switch didn't go thru the splice but I could be wrong.

Yes indeed a broken wire.

Dopler174 yes a missing wire at this switch (driver control sw that disable windows and locks) caused windows malfunction.
Thanks Fixxxer for schematics really works out pretty good, yeah missing wires at driver control main switch.

But locks are still acting up. I found a bad I would say rear LH lock door solenoid, please understand that I'm not a technician so; I don't Know what the actual name for this parts is. but it is electrical part that engaged locks, power is present at the solenoid but it doesn't do anything, so it is a bad part for sure.

My new issue is:
How to replace it? This is attached to door wall with a big single rivet. Let say I grained it up... then how to rig it?

Thanks all for your input.

front left door window won't go up & down from door switch, yes it does go from driver door main control windows,

Front left is driver... You mean front right?

Back