Doors wont open! Door handle gone

lordkovax

Reaction score
City, State
utica ny
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT
ok heres the thin of it all....

1991 x xlt both rear door will NOT open..from the inside or the outside. they are not locked, no child safty. got any ideas how to open them? it started last year with one not opening, now neither of them will open. 2nd.... the door handle on the drivers side front door has snapped off...any idea how to salvage one off another x or where to get a replacement? i tried some JB weld but that worked for about a day...thanks

First off, welcome to the site. The front door handle is an easy fix. You ned to get a handle from the dealer(about $15). Once the door panel is off it will be easy to figure out how it goes together. The rears are going to be tricky. Soemthing is bent/broken off and you may have to remove the seats to get clearence to remove the door panels. You may have enough room to wiggle them off without removing them. Maybe someone else will have a better idea.

Hey welcome to the site.
There is much to learn and contribute here so don't be a stranger.

I have had a few various vehicles in the shop in that condition.
The solution isn't real pretty.
You need to finagle the top of the door trim panel open.
That way you can get some light and an eyeball down in side there.
Pull the inside or the out side handel a few times. See what is doing what. Look for the point where either the inside or the out side door linkage goes into the latch assembly. Take a long skinny screwdriver and push on that point. A little skill and a few cuss words and you should get it opened.

Thanks guys, ill give those idea's a shot this weekend and let you know how i turn out. i have to say i took the x off teh road last year due to a job change and went with a small compact car. a few weeks ago, i fired the x up and brushed the snow off of it (i live in upsate ny...about 3 ft of snow) and when i hit the gas and she started to purr...i fell in love with it all over again! so now im doing whatever it takes to get her back on the road. thank again guys

Back