Dorman Door latch assembly quality? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dorman Door latch assembly quality?

bigcrunch

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 v8
As the title says I need to replace the drivers door latch, are they good quality?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For the small price difference I'd be inclined use the OEM replacement. Can't say I've had much luck with ANYTHING
made by Dorman. Strange thing is their 940-400 part "appears" the same as OEM, even has the "Made In Canada" sticker in many pics. Until now every Dormant part I've seen was made in China. Either way, have fun with the puzzle. ;)

Replaced both front latches and three actuators in two years. Door locks are not one of the Explorer's stronger points.

https://www.google.com/search?q=6L5...9i57j69i60l2.744j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

What's wrong with it? Many of us have had a (the same) spring in one or more fail and if that's all it needs you don't necessarily have to replace the whole latch, can just swap the spring without pulling the latch if you have dexterity with needle nose pliers and patience.

With that spring arguably being the weakest link, the Doorman may have as good a spring as any other, though last time I checked, the official ford part was about as cheap on Amazon... though Amazon prices can fluctuate like crazy, it could cost more or less there now.

The official Ford part is the one we all had stock that had the spring fail, so I'm not quite suggesting it's the BEST option either... if they had merely rounded the corner on their stamped steel pieces that spring goes on, it probably would have lasted multiple times as long. The spring doesn't (at least not on mine or other pics I've seen) corrode any, just wear related failure from pivoting on the sharp corner of the metal it's attached to. If there were a reasonable way to do it, I would have filed and sanded the corners smooth.

Edit: You don't list your location so I don't even know if Amazon is available to you. I often assume (sometimes wrongly) that people are in the US.

Here's the sticky topic on door latch replacement:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=170619

^ Or you can try the external spring fix many have done with success. Regardless, look inside the latch with the door open for a small broken spring. If it's not visible remove the door panel and check the bottom of the door for spring remnants and inspect all other latch rod linkages and clips while in there. Leave the window all the way up and remove the glass run channel held by one bolt and disconnecting any attached wiring.

door latch problem solved - temporarily maybe??
https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207373

I did the add spring, works fine. thanks... I should have know floppy handle would be a problem.....

doorman makes decent quality stuff, ask a local parts store if you can see one before buying. AFAIK the difference between a motorcraft one and a cheap one is a small band of metal reinforcing the plastic lever which actuates the door

Back