• Register Today It's free!

Double Din Touch Screen Radio

Markek

Reaction score
City, State
Cleveland, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Sport Trac
For all that have installed one of these I am looking at a 6.2" screen but was wondering if a 7" screen will fit?

I'm aware that a double din will have to be modified to fit.

Actually found a unit from Walmart (XO Vision) that surprising is getting some pretty good reviews and I can pickup new for less than $100.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Lots of trimming...
7" Volsmart

13912510_1136583669742728_2376744892772976306_n.jpg

Nice job Fredness, looks good. If that's a 7" screen I wonder how small a 6.2" would look.

Exactly how much trimming did you have to do?

Thanks - it's advertised as a 7", I've seen 6.9" in print.
If you look at the opening, I took the top and bottom lips to within an 1/8th of an inch of the horizontals, and took an 1/8th of an inch off the side lips. Nothing major, but take your time - the old adage "it's easy to remove material, harder to put it back" applies!

If you look at the opening, I took the top and bottom lips to within an 1/8th of an inch of the horizontals, and took an 1/8th of an inch off the side lips. Nothing major, but take your time - the old adage "it's easy to remove material, harder to put it back" applies!

Did you need any special kit to adapt?

Dremel, cutting discs, sand paper.

What additional harness did you need to add.
I am look to to buy same unit soon.
Any drawbacks to this unit?

Any standard double DIN Explorer kit should work (with fitting!), and there was no special harness. You WILL have to cut a good portion of the supplied harness away as it is for some strange "standardized" format. If you have a factory amp/subwoofer you will have to find a way to get 5v to the amp for turn on - I use a 5v regulator IC.

I can't recommend this unit to anyone that is not "tech-savvy" and OK with the frequent updates that are pushed via the Android OS. Google Maps requires a constant internet connection to work, but not the built in NAV (that is "Meh") - so that is a challenge.
The Radio App also loses all its presets every time it's updated. :(

It looks great and sounds great, so to me it's worth it...

I just had to bit the bullet.
Purchases the last 7" Volsmart from Amazon along with harness, dash kit and lighter USB extension.
Yes, much trimming needed.
Did not us the dash kit.
After bench testing and installation, I am pleased with it.
Fun project.

I just did this with a TUVVA 6.2" 6280, see https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DPF18O8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I used an FMK 552 install kit, worked perfectly. Only had to trim the top and bottom ledges on the faceplate bezel on the dash. See https://www.amazon.com/STEREO-INSTA...e=UTF8&qid=1478873110&sr=1-1&keywords=fmk+552

This is the correct kit. Amazon and even American International's catalog shows that that it takes an FMK 554 kit, but it is not right. Use the FMK 552 kit. It is listed correctly for that year Ranger trucks.

I also a rear view camera, works perfectly. I used this camera, installed in a hole I drilled in the tailgate: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FA2O0OE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

TUVVA Install.jpg

Rear View Camera Image.jpg

Tailgate Camera Install.jpg

Any standard double DIN Explorer kit should work (with fitting!), and there was no special harness. You WILL have to cut a good portion of the supplied harness away as it is for some strange "standardized" format. If you have a factory amp/subwoofer you will have to find a way to get 5v to the amp for turn on - I use a 5v regulator IC.

I can't recommend this unit to anyone that is not "tech-savvy" and OK with the frequent updates that are pushed via the Android OS. Google Maps requires a constant internet connection to work, but not the built in NAV (that is "Meh") - so that is a challenge.

Question, Does you unit reboot every time you restart?
Mine does.
I may need a constant HOT.
Any thoughts?

Mine does not reboot after it is shut down. It keeps all settings and last played source.

Use the wiring harness to make sure you connect into all of the OEM sources.

Thanks.
When I bench tested I did not have the problem.
Will recheck the harness.

Question, Does you unit reboot every time you restart?
Mine does.
I may need a constant HOT.
Any thoughts?
I have a 7" android head unit. If they don't reboot they draw power and may run your battery down. YMMV. The backup camera comes on right away.

I have a 7" android head unit. If they don't reboot they draw power and may run your battery down. YMMV. The backup camera comes on right away.

I was thinking of a sleep mode, like on tablets and smart phones

I was thinking of a sleep mode, like on tablets and smart phones
I spoke to one of the OEMs who make those stereos, they had complaints of batteries running down in a few days with sleep mode. Android runs things in background, DRAM has to be refreshed and it and sucks down power. The car draws maybe 10ma when it sleeps, the Android stereo may draw 100ma or more. A sticking relay or small draw don't take long to drain a battery. It would probably have to be designed into the OS.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I spoke to one of the OEMs who make those stereos, they had complaints of batteries running down in a few days with sleep mode. Android runs things in background, DRAM has to be refreshed and it and sucks down power. The car draws maybe 10ma when it sleeps, the Android stereo may draw 100ma or more. A sticking relay or small draw don't take long to drain a battery. It would probably have to be designed into the OS.

What if I make the Acc wire always Hot and use the power button to turn on and off. Would that help me?

Back