Driveing without the locking hubs on front axle | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Driveing without the locking hubs on front axle

gorman8523

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT
ive had lifted truck so this time thought i would try something new and i bought a set of 20 in. rims the locking hub sticks out past center caps so since they are just basically a clutch for the axles when in four wheel drive can i take them off and buy a spacer to replace them the center caps do cover the axle so want be out in the open

You could as a temporary measure (say to get home from the trail if you broke one), but no, you cannot just leave them off. Your wheel cover is not adequate to keep dirt & water out of the bearings.

You could as a temporary measure (say to get home from the trail if you broke one), but no, you cannot just leave them off. Your wheel cover is not adequate to keep dirt & water out of the bearings.

Ditto. Any road grime on the bearings or dirt on the snout will get into your hub and tear it up if they aren't cleaned and re lubed before you do so. Also water and bearings...really bad idea.

Back