Driver Door Lock Problems | Won't Lock No Matter What | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Driver Door Lock Problems | Won't Lock No Matter What

UDPride

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Ford Explorer
First things first: today was the first time I ever drove a Ford. So I know nothing about Fords and most domestic vehicles other than the LeMans cars. Im swapping cars with my sister and borrowing her 2010 Explorer 4Dr (I think its a 2010) so I can use it to do a 1mth 15-state Griswold-esque sightseeing/camping trip out west. Its the perfect car to do just that.

When I went over to her house to pick the car up, I asked her about the keypad door entry. She says she never uses it but I thought it might be useful especially if I do something stupid and accidentally lock the doors in the middle of Hilljack Montana. After some digging she found the passcode card. We tested it. This is when things got interesting.

Sister locked doors w/fob. I punched unlock code. Heard the knuckle shuffle and seemed good. Door opened. Tried to lock doors with keypad. Heard knuckle shuffle and seemed good. Wait. Driver door still unlocked! Tried to lock driver door with fob. Nope. Tried with locking from inside driver door armrest. Nope. Tried with actual key. Nope.

Sister said she's never noticed this before but says she always uses the fob. So, always a chance she clicks the car, hears the chirp, an walks away thinking all is good. When she comes back she clicks fob and driver door is open -- but whos to say the driver's door never locked she fobbed it on the exit.

Here's what I know:

- All doors make actuating sound on lock and unlock.
- All doors but driver's door lock and unlock using any method (key, fob, armrest, keypad).
- Driver's door will not lock under any method.
- Driver's door makes actuating sound on all methods but seems somewhat less loud than other doors
- Driver's door rosette moves down slightly in attempted lock of all methods but not all the way.
- Driver's door rosette cannot be pushed manually down and into lock stage. Heavy resistance.
- Driver's door rosette cannot be pulled up manually -- though its more up than down in existing state since door is in an unlocked condition.

My sister seems to think the keypad did something but it coincides with driver's door lock issue and its first time she can ever recall using the keypad., but Im skeptical. I think door lock has been this way and she's just never noticed b/c shes a fob woman.

Saw on other forums for other Explorer models about looking for popped rivets but these doors dont seem to have any of that. Just three torx type screws near the door locking mechanism. I have no idea what the deal is. Being that its not my car Im hesitant to start open heart surgery. If I gotta take it into a shop to get it fixed -- no biggie -- I just want to know what the expected solution is. I come from the BMW/Porsche world so this would be a $900 fix. If this is in the $200 range, I cant drop this truck off fast enough to have someone fix it for me.

Im gonna have several thousand dollars of stuff in the car most of the time w/camping stuff and all my camera equipment, perhaps passpost, etc, so I cannot leave in this vehicle until this issue is resolved.

Any insight/dircection is appreciated.

Other than the door issue and 10 million rotting french fries I had to steam clean out of every nook and cranny, I like this truck and it will be perfect for my trip. Seems to drive well and has plenty of room for all my camping gear. Will be going through Michigan UP, over Lake Superior, Isle Royale, Winnipeg, back down to Dakotas, Teddy Roosevelt NP, Montana, Yellowstone, Glacier, Ranier, Redwoods, Yosemite, Badlands, Rushmore.

Sounds like a bad actuator or one of the linkages is bent. Probably has been like that for some time. If you are going to DIY it an actuator is ~$40

Back