Driver door moved forward | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Driver door moved forward

2ndcovenant

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002ExplXLT 4x4 4.0L 6cyl
Hey folks,

A couple of months ago I had an issue with a Walmart tire and lube in which they pulled my truck backwards while the driver door was open and it hit a pole, and the door itself was moved forward. In other words, the door hinges became misaligned.

I followed the instructions that I found on a website showing how to put a socket into the hinge that needed realigning and slowly closing the door. It did work. I worked fine for a couple of months now.

When walmart screwed up my door though the Check Strap at the bottom of the door (I did not know what it was called until today) shattered and I could not find one in a shop anywhere to replace it.

Well, yesterday, the wind blew the door out of my hand and because there was no check strap to keep it from flying back as far as it possibly could, the door was jerked forward again.

I went back to that website and the gent said to do the same thing I did last time with the socket. The problem is that the wind damage moved the door a Lot further than even that pole did.

With the door closed, you can easily see the hinges in the gap between the door and the front body panel. That means that the door is seated too far out from the door frame. Putting a socket into the hinge and closing the door will only cause the door to move further out from the frame.

Does anyone know of a way to force the driver's side door to seat itself further into the frame? The problem is the hinges are too "open" and each one needs to close tighter but I don't know how to do that.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

without seeing pictures, it sounds like your fender might actually be misaligned as well as the door being misaligned.

From the damage I've seen where doors have been folded all the way open like this, the leading edge of the door often bends, and the fender gets pushed forward a bit by the door opening so far.

That's what it may be. Before my wife and I got the truck, that fender was bent a good bit by an accident that the previous owner had been in. I didn't consider that might be part of the problem. It hadn't been an issue until the wind blew the door forward.

I wish that I could take photos as that would help a lot but my phone's charger port, somehow, has moved inside the phone and when you try to charge it the cord doesn't connect to the port correctly anymore. I have no idea how that happened but it's an iphone 5s so it's not worth paying $200 to have fixed. I will have to get a new phone soon I guess :0)

Funny thing that walmart lol. I was working there at the time. I figured tire and lube would be an easy oil change after my shift. After that accident, I had all sorts of problems from managers until I left. They claimed that the cameras needed repair and that there was no report filed with them (I informed management immediately after it happened) so I was making a false claim and that I did the damage on my own time.

Did I miss something or am I the only one wondering why Walmart isn't dealing with this for you?

Back