Driver side door and rear hatch won't unlock | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Driver side door and rear hatch won't unlock

2talll

Reaction score
City, State
Ansonia, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Explorer Sport
Originally I thought the problem I was having was the same as everyone else's with the latch in the drivers side door being broken. About half the time I'd use my Viper Alarm to unlock the door the "button" would start popping up and then just go back down. SO I had to go in the passenger side or the back hatch to use the unlock buttons on the inside. (The key won't either- I can get the key in but it doesn't turn.)

So I searched on-line and found the stuff on the latch, and was going to have my brother take care of it.

Now when the drivers side door won't unlock, the back hatch won't unlock or open either- whether I try opening just the window or the entire door.

Both happen about half the time (almost always at the same time). If I spray silicone on the drivers side "button" and in where the latch is on the back hatch it'll make it happen less frequently but eventually if gets bad again.

Any ideas? I'd rather have some idea of the problem before I have my brother work on thant to let him just "go at it" seeing as he's not the most patient person in the world.

Thanks

Back