• Register Today It's free!

Driver's seat problem

Drew11

Reaction score
City, State
Springfield, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Eddie Bauer
I've got a 96 5.0 AWD and the other day a rod broke on the driver's seat. I don't know exactly what it is or what to call it, but if you look right under the front of the seat, it is a bar that is running between two brackets, or at least that's what it looks like to me. Anyway, the bar snapped right on the inside of the bracket that is closest to the door (left side of seat) and I just wanted to know if anyone could give me some info on:

1) What it is exactly, so I know what kinda part(s) I'm looking for
2) How to go about replacing it or fixing it

It isn't too big of an issue right now, there is just a little extra seat play. I'd just like to look into fixing it before it causes something else to go wrong.

Thanks for any info, I appreciate it.

Do you have manually adjustable seats? If so, I would think that bar is your seat release for fore and aft adjustment. If you have movement in the seat, then one of the latches is not engaged, possible safety issue here if the seat moves while driving . Pull seat to repair. If you have power seats, then I have no idea what the bar is for. I'll have to go out and look at mine.

They are power seats. The seat isn't moving back and forth or reclining all the way or anything, it just moves a little bit more than usual, tilt wise. I want to say its like a stabilizer bar for the seat or something but I really don't know.

If I can, I'll try to get some pictures later today.

It is likely that it is the bar that the front of the seat sits on that allows movement of the front up and down. Mine has broken twice now (in 11 years of ownership).

You will have to replace the entire power seat base to fix it properly. Start hitting the auto recyclers in your area. (or if you want to cheap it out you can drill and secure it with a bolt, but then the front of your seat can no longer move up and down.)

Back