Driveshaft Play...

Bubble18-30

Reaction score
City, State
Leeds, Yorkshire
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 V6
Hi Guys.

I've recently posted this same question in the Uk Explorer Forum Section but i think we're all drawing a bit of a blank on this one!

My rear Driveshaft (Transfer Case to Rear Diff) has a Slip Yoke (What the Haynes Manual calls it!) about 1/4 way down from the Transfer Case end with a rubber gator on it. When i push it up and down at the yoke there is a clunk inside and about 4-5mm of play at the join...

Is the yoke meant to have any play? (Other than sliding in and out)

Your help would be very much appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the shaft should have up and down play as long as the yolk and shaft u joint is not moving.

the shaft should have up and down play as long as the yolk and shaft u joint is not moving.

?? What would keep such "play" from allowing the shaft to wobble at the slip joint, thereby creating vibration? He's talking about something like a quarter-inch of movement there.......imp

no, there should be virtually no movement at the slip-shaft

(slip-yoke is when the driveshaft "slips" into the t-case/transmission, rather than bolt on via a flange)

no, there should be virtually no movement at the slip-shaft

(slip-yoke is when the driveshaft "slips" into the t-case/transmission, rather than bolt on via a flange)

Agreed! imp

Cheers for that info guys, mine doesn't have a "slip yoke" as such, just a 2 part telescopic driveshaft with gator. I deffo thought 1/4" play was excessive!!! Anyways I'm gonna swap it out for a good condition 2nd hand part ($300+ on Rock Auto..)

Back