DRL'S dont run all the time?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

DRL'S dont run all the time??

meero80

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
EXPLORER 2016 LIMITED NAV
Hello all
I am new here but i just notices that the daytime running lights on my 2016 limited ford explorer are on only if i put the headlight dial on "off". Any other set like on or auto it will automatically switch off during daytime but at night when the light is on its its also on. Should they not run all the time regardless of time of day or dial position?? Correct me if i am wrong please .

thanks all

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello all
I am new here but i just notices that the daytime running lights on my 2016 limited ford explorer are on only if i put the headlight dial on "off". Any other set like on or auto it will automatically switch off during daytime but at night when the light is on its its also on. Should they not run all the time regardless of time of day or dial position?? Correct me if i am wrong please .

thanks all
Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
In Canada the DRL are on all the time. They cannot be turned off while in motion. Have you checked the Manual, page 82? There are different conditions under which they operate depending on whether you have Configurable or Non-Configurable DRL's.
It would be very helpful if you added the trim level (Limited) to your profile so it shows there every time you post. It just shows 2016 which doesn't narrow it down. Thanks.

Peter

hi peter
i wrote it in the question i think,,, the lights that are on the border of the headlights are the DRL right?

thanks

hi peter
i wrote it in the question i think,,, the lights that are on the border of the headlights are the DRL right?

thanks
Yes you have a Limited but it would help if you added that to your profile so it shows in the margin. Then you don't have to add that info to your post. The LED lights around the headlamp are called 'Signature' lighting. As far as I know, the DRL run at low power on the LED low beam headlights.
Also, being in the UAE, your Explorer would be considered an 'Export' model and they sometimes are the same as others.
There is a thread on Signature lights. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=440236&highlight=signature

Peter

I have a base 2016 explorer and I want to know how to get signature lights on my explorer even if I have to buuh the entire headlight if needed.

I have a base 2016 explorer and I want to know how to get signature lights on my explorer even if I have to buuh the entire headlight if needed.
buuh :scratch:

Peter

I think there is more to it than just replacing the headlamps. I believe there may also be some software involved.

Peter

My daytime running lights are on all the time, except during the day in park. At least that is what I notice. I keep my dial set to auto headlights...

My daytime running lights are on all the time, except during the day in park. At least that is what I notice. I keep my dial set to auto headlights...

yep, that's mine as well.

Here is what I have found out by experimentation. With the headlight switch in "Auto" the signature lamps and DRL are both off if the DRL are turned off in the settings. With the DRL set to on in the settings, you get the signature lamps and LED headlights on at reduced power with the headlight switch on "Auto". With the headlight switch on "Off" you get the signature lights on alone. I forgot to try the headlight switch "Off" and DRL set to on combination.

Here is what I have found out by experimentation. With the headlight switch in "Auto" the signature lamps and DRL are both off if the DRL are turned off in the settings. With the DRL set to on in the settings, you get the signature lamps and LED headlights on at reduced power with the headlight switch on "Auto". With the headlight switch on "Off" you get the signature lights on alone. I forgot to try the headlight switch "Off" and DRL set to on combination.

That's a good point bringing up the settings for the DRL. You can turn them off or on...

I meant buy lol. is the software available. I like how the signature lights look

I prefer to only have the led signature LEDs on during daylight and led low beams at night.
Too bad Canadian delivered EX has the setting removed and I'm going to be disabling it via third party software.

I prefer to only have the led signature LEDs on during daylight and led low beams at night.
Too bad Canadian delivered EX has the setting removed and I'm going to be disabling it via third party software.
I saw a 2016 Explorer on the road the other afternoon coming in the opposite direction and it only had the Signature lights on. No low beams at reduced power.

Peter

Back