• Register Today It's free!

drop?

lowerlimitz

Reaction score
City, State
mililani HI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 xlt
i just got a 1999 xlt i put some work on it and i want it slammed but im kind of low on cash anybody got any ideas? help me out cuz its sittin on 18s right now

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

To lower it cheap, do a TT (torsion twist) and install lowering blocks. It will give 2-3" of drop. Just search for Torsion Twist on this site, and you should find everything you need to get you started!

Welcome to the forum!

I know the TT is a cheap solution but be warned that it will ride like a boat afterwards. I dunno how the highways are there but I drove a lowered 2nd-gen Explorer (via TT) about 1k miles on a snowboard trip and it was kinda iffy taking some of the highway turns -- the suspension was just too soft for the weight of the vehicle. Of course the good thing is is that if you dont like it, you can always tighten the torsion bolts again and you'll be back to stock.

explorer express sells (last time i checked) a "handling" package, that might be compatible with a lowered explorer

thanks, but how about the back? i was talking to one of my friends and he told me i cant put blocks because it has independent suspension. but thanks for the advice. ohh and btw the roads here are terrible.

thanks, but how about the back? i was talking to one of my friends and he told me i cant put blocks because it has independent suspension. but thanks for the advice. ohh and btw the roads here are terrible.

well then your friend :)thumbdwn:) has never looked underneath a 2nd gen (or 1st) because it's got a solid 8.8 rear axle with spring under. in other words, blocks lower it.

here's the explorer express x-spec handling kit. it says part of what it does is "moderate lowering," which they say is 1 and 3/8 inches http://www.explorerexpress.com/xspec-suspension-complete-9801-explorer-p-770.html

Back