drove with low oil and with low pressure now the gauge flutters ,engine rattles | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

drove with low oil and with low pressure now the gauge flutters ,engine rattles

greenthinks@msn.

Reaction score
City, State
minneapolis
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 explorer 2 dr auto
drove stupidly with low oil and my guage said low pressure now the engine makes a rattling noise at idle and the gauge flutters but rises back up when i accelerate So i did an oil change with mobil one is there a good additive to quiet the rattle did i wreck the engine
? v6 207,000 miles

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah, very unlikely anything from a bottle is going to fix it. If it was gonna fix itself, the fresh oil would have done it.

I thought I heard violins, but it was the fat lady singing. Sorry, buddy - I think you probably killed it.

RIP

My sister did this the other day with her 2001 Camry. “Yeah so the oil light was going on and off, but only like when I was in turns would it come on so I just kept driving and drove it home.”

I can’t even tell you how many times I’ve told her “if a red light illuminates, pull over IMMEDIATELY and call me.”

Buddy’s wife pulled the same thing with his BMW. Radiator blew out. Coolant temp pegged, red warning light on.

“Oh I’m only 5 miles from work.”

She bricked the car. Straight to the junkyard.

How did you end up with low oil and how long did you drive the car like this? Thicker oil might mask the noise slightly for a little while but I'd be think about either a replacement engine or car.

Hold the phone
What year and which v6? 2001 sport so I assume SOHC engine ouch last year of OHV was 2000
How many miles?
how many driven w low oil pressure?
Oil pressure is good now?

SOHC engine low oil pressure and now rattle likely you destroyed a timing chain cassette
is the rattle from the front or rear of the engine?

RIP

My sister did this the other day with her 2001 Camry. “Yeah so the oil light was going on and off, but only like when I was in turns would it come on so I just kept driving and drove it home.”

I can’t even tell you how many times I’ve told her “if a red light illuminates, pull over IMMEDIATELY and call me.”

Buddy’s wife pulled the same thing with his BMW. Radiator blew out. Coolant temp pegged, red warning light on.

“Oh I’m only 5 miles from work.”

She bricked the car. Straight to the junkyard.
A moment of silence, for the Camry and the BMW. Camrys particularly are known for longevity.

(Silence).

@C420sailor @joney RIP, but you gotta give the lady some credit. You know how long Toyota has been trying to kill a Camry? At least now we know it's possible.

@410Fortune Bonus points if it's the rear.

@Mr. Alligator You can afford the silence, you've got 600K on a SOHC. If your timing chain ever falls off, they'll hear that silence from Australia.

Back