Dry reusable air filter suggestions 01-05 ST | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dry reusable air filter suggestions 01-05 ST

Nctruckman

Reaction score
City, State
NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer XLT 4-Dr
Is there a preferred out of these two? I see aem is cheaper with more reviews but which is actually a better quality reusable filter?
Screenshot_20230318-164150.png

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I personally would stick with the factory setup and use a Fram air filter! Just spray the filter material with some silicone spray on the side towards the air to help trap more grit. I replace mine annually.

Jiefeiran metal mesh filter has high temperature and corrosion resistance characteristics, and can withstand high temperatures of 250-300 ℃. During maintenance, high-pressure water gun and air gun can be used for cleaning. After cleaning and drying, the efficiency is close to that of the original product, and the resistance is similar to that of the original product. Water washing and recycling can be easily achieved, with a service life of more than 10 years under normal conditions

I like the injen / amsoil offerings (blue media, dry filter)

Afe now has like 4 different grades of filter depending on how extreme your environment I think the white one listed above is better then the “red” but I’m not sure

I’m still using the injen filters w a pre filter so far I have been very happy. I live in the dust/mudd and muck off road air filters here take a beating

I like the injen / amsoil offerings (blue media, dry filter)

Afe now has like 4 different grades of filter depending on how extreme your environment I think the white one listed above is better then the “red” but I’m not sure

I’m still using the injen filters w a pre filter so far I have been very happy. I live in the dust/mudd and muck off road air filters here take a beating
Apparently amsoil discontinued theirs for this engine. The afe one by weight is denser so I ordered it, was on clearance for 66 bucks on the afe site.

Should be a good filter for you!! Anything is better then an oiled k&n or a cheaply made fram!!!

Should be a good filter for you!! Anything is better then an oiled k&n or a cheaply made fram!!!
Agree on the k&n oil sample proved that! That's why I spray my wix or Fram filters with silicone on the air side of the filter. You won't believe how much more dirt is trapped but to each there own! 👍

I won't run a k&n on anything with a maf sensor. Wix Is good but if I can get a quality reusable one it'd save money in the long run.

The afe one by weight is denser so I ordered it, was on clearance for 66 bucks on the afe site.
Good choice. After ten years I have no regrets. Paid $48.85 from Amazon in 2013, so $66 direct from aFe is not bad. BTW, that is my review on Amazon. Both aFe and AEM used to have product spec sheets on line, but I can't find them any more. Either way, you will be surprised how well made the aFe is and the great fit. Mine still looks brand new and I carefully blow compressed air from the bottom side to clean every 30,000 miles. Enjoy!

both would probably be good. both good well known brends.

and yes jamie! friend has injen on his corolla, very happy w/ performance and dirt trap ability

Without doing a oil sample how are you guys determining that those filters are filtering the air well? Just wandering!

@oklagp1200r
I have two friends with Gen 1's on the MyST site that bought the aFe panel. Both sent oil samples with the $25 fee to Blackstone Labs at different mileages and intervals. It was years ago, but the test results looked comparable or better than their previous tests using the OE panel. I saved both printouts, but had them on my old laptop that crashed and didn't have it backed up. If you want to see them I'll try contact the owners and send you pdf's. LMK.

Without doing a oil sample how are you guys determining that those filters are filtering the air well? Just wandering!
No micron info from wix, but it did give a cfm rating
Screenshot_20230320-215200.png

I also found this info

@oklagp1200r
I have two friends with Gen 1's on the MyST site that bought the aFe panel. Both sent oil samples with the $25 fee to Blackstone Labs at different mileages and intervals. It was years ago, but the test results looked comparable or better than their previous tests using the OE panel. I saved both printouts, but had them on my old laptop that crashed and didn't have it backed up. If you want to see them I'll try contact the owners and send you pdf's. LMK.
No need Sir it's all good! I learned about the K&N and then the green filter which is also oiled a oiled filter sucks!

No micron info from wix, but it did give a cfm rating View attachment 440143
I also found this info
I have learned to never believe in posted ratings on anything! Real world numbers 👍💯

That silicone trick works great! I use it on all filters with better results out of them. HVAC filters, cabin filters, etc.

I have learned to never believe in posted ratings on anything! Real world numbers 👍💯
I've seen somewhere else it's 340 cfm. I'l may ask for the flow rate of a afe one as well

I use an oiled filter and a really expensive mass air flow sensor no problems

It's easy just don't give it a bath in oil

Back