Dual Climate Control problem, passenger side blows hot while on AC | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dual Climate Control problem, passenger side blows hot while on AC

Hi Ibrokedadscar,

Do you have a part number or an estimated cost for it? Her car just turned 111,000 miles and it has been a great car for us since we've had it.

Thanks,

Brian

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi Ibrokedadscar,

Do you have a part number or an estimated cost for it? Her car just turned 111,000 miles and it has been a great car for us since we've had it.

Thanks,

Brian

No part number, but I'd expect to pay about 300 parts and labor for the fix. Glad to hear it's been a good vehicle for you. Mine has 70k and has needed probably over 6k in repairs. I will not buy another Ford after this vehicle.

Only issue I've had with it is the crappy design for the thermostat housing that started leaking. Its the V-6 model and I've heard issues with the timing chain tensioners / guides going bad but so far its been good to us. Oil changed every 3000 miles with conventional oil or 6,000 if I throw in full synthetic. Trans fluid and filter changed every 24,000 miles. I have had to change out the front wheel hub bearings which were severely rusted in place and a major pita to remove. Besides other regular maintenance, its really needed nothing.

More than likely, I will be doing the job myself. Any way to find out what the part number for that piece is?

The old fashioned way. Go to their parts shop and tell them you need the blend door unit pass side and give your vin or vehicle specs. Apparently the parts are specific to different trims/years.

Our '06 Eddie Bauer just had the same symptom. Only hot from right A/C vents, full control from left side. Examined right actuator while changing temp from high to low. Naturally, it started working correctly. BUT, as I felt the temp change from cold to hot and back again, I did not see the actuator turn one tiny bit. However, I did hear the "groan" of air filling the diaphragm of a vacuum motor, which pushed or pulled a blend door open & closed. As that door changed position, so did the temperature change. It did this consistently, but the right actuator, YH-1759, never moved. Nor did the Floor Airflow Blend Door Motor, YH-1654. I only selected temperature from the right side of the control. Driver side was set to cold at all times.

Since it's currently intermittent, I'd like to be sure this thing functions correctly from here on out, but don't want to just throw parts at it, not to mention waste a lot of time. One of the following vacuum motors is the one I hear changing position when temperature selection is changed:

Part Number: 18A318A(YH-1653), Part Description: Dual Zone Auto Temp Control A/C ; Panel Airflow (Used on both sides of plenum.)

Part Number: 18A318A(YH-1654), Part Description: Dual Zone Auto Temp Control A/C ; Floor Airflow (This one is NOT moving during the temperature change.)

I'll play with it some more, but sure could use a little help figuring it all out.

Edit: Just got done experimenting again. Examined driver's side while adjusting temp, Actuator functioned correctly. Moved to passenger side where I found it working correctly as well. WTF? I'll crawl under there again next time it's messing up, but for now it's working and I'm stumped...

Will be interested to find out which one you figure out it is. Have similar symptoms - groaning and creaking noises from under the dash, passenger side blows hot air with AC on, but sometimes blows cold as it should. Forscan came up with code B2267 - Right Side Blend Door Circuit Failure. If it's a temperature problem and not an airflow problem, I'm wondering if wouldn't be this part: 19E616A (YH-1746) Part Description: With Aux Overhead Heater And A/C ; Temperature Blend Door, With D-Shaped Shaft?

Anyone come up with a solution? I have the same isssue starting. Hot air momentary then back to cold.I have had the groan going on for sometime.

I had the exact same problem on my 2010, it was the blend door acutator. The part was around $25, not bad. I was able to replace it without removing the dash, but let me tell you, you have to be a contortionist. I pulled the original apart and saw that the plastic gears had stripped.

El Duque. Your were spot on. Fixed problem and the groaning noise. Thanks for the help!

Mine acted up again this afternoon. Pulled out passenger side actuator, which was an OEM part, but only had two lower screws holding it in. I suspect it was replaced before I purchased the truck. Bought a Dorman 604-207 from Advance Auto for $27.00. Could have purchased from Amazon for $22.

One tip I'd suggest is, plug in the new one before trying to install. Turn the ignition key to on, then turn on the A/C. Turn off the ignition. The actuator will rotate to the same default position of the blend door. Next tip, specific to the passenger side, is to wrangle the actuator under the arm of the vacuum valve, located above it, before trying to insert the white nylon, shaft. Those two tips should save at least fifteen minutes of struggle.

Will be interested to find out which one you figure out it is. Have similar symptoms - groaning and creaking noises from under the dash, passenger side blows hot air with AC on, but sometimes blows cold as it should. Forscan came up with code B2267 - Right Side Blend Door Circuit Failure. If it's a temperature problem and not an airflow problem, I'm wondering if wouldn't be this part: 19E616A (YH-1746) Part Description: With Aux Overhead Heater And A/C ; Temperature Blend Door, With D-Shaped Shaft?

Well I figured mine out with thanks to the posters here and elsewhere on the net.
Same symptoms accept wife not gf. 2007 Ltd. Dual zone. All electronic, no knobs. Drivers side fine. No control on passenger side most of the time. If you screw with the controls enough, sometimes the passenger temperature might change.
1 The dual zone has two blend doors and SIDE MOUNTED blend door controllers. Mine were identical part numbers and black. Remove the side foot console panel and brace only.
2 You do not have to take the dash apart but may wish you did
3 Each actuator has 4 horizontal right left oriented screws. The upper two are difficult to near impossible to get out and REALLY a pain reinstall with normal tools.
4 The upper two screws are not needed for perfect operation!
5 If you have pianists fingers you are in for an hour of frustration,
6 If you do not have pianist fingers double that or more without dash disassembly.
It is not particularly difficult, it is just that if you enjoy swearing at incompetent design and hurling tools, you are gonna love this job!

In mine, I pulled the passenger blend door actuator, disassembled it and found the brushes on the wee little motor were damaged (hence partial operation). They make the damn brushes out of filaments of WIRE!!! Oh that will never burn out now will it? I bought a DorMAN 604-207 from amazon on net recommendations. Inexpensive, delivered to door, no affiliation, your results may vary, check compatibility, made in Korea.
I plugged the new one in and tested it in the open, ran fine. I used the blend door driver gear from the old one to set the blend door full forward(clockwise) and the truck controls to set the new one to the same orientation for insertion in the dash. You must do this or it will never go in.
Once engaged I put in the two lower screws with an 8 mm socket and a 1/4 ratchet. PITA. Then tried to get the upper two in. Finger tight on the upper front and gave up on the upper rear. Plugged it in and tested, all fine. reinstalled he brace and foot panel trim and all is back to normal.

Many thanks again to all that commented and steered my fix.

Back