Duff dual shocks | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Duff dual shocks

JJW

Reaction score
I recently removed the front sway bar on my xlt so I could move the front shock inboard. I have no rubbing on the shocks even at full lock. Dead Link RemovedThanks to all that helped me with that. Now that this is done,I think I would like to change to a stiffer shock to help with the sway or dip when turning. Has anyone done this yet. I would like to keep the dual shock set up but think dual rs9000 would would be to much. Or would they? Any suggestions would be helpful.
thanks

------------------
JJW, 92 xlt,4x4

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The Rancho 9000 will be the best choice. At the lowest setting they are softer than the Duff 70/30's and much firmer at the high end. A single Rancho at the stiffest setting will provide a managable ride without the sway bar, although I opted for disconnects after one long road trip. Depending on the dampening valve the dual Ranchos could give you up to 10 selectable rates.

JJW,

Wish the weather would of cooperated for you to be at Tuttle Creek. Hopefully we'll get together on some run in the near future.

One of the guys that works at the shop where I had my gears done uses a double shock set-up with 9000's on the front of his extremely modified CJ-7. He's very pleased with the control and comfort that he can dial in. Plus, it just plain looks cool.

I'd side with Trace and so go ahead with the double 9000's (would that be a RS18000 then?). You should be able to create whatever level of control and ride comfort that you desire. Having both set on 1 would not be too stiff, in my opinion. The guy with the CJ-7 normally runs both of his on 2. I run my single front 9000 at 3 and am very pleased.

I'm not sure if Rancho makes certain models of 9000's that are designed for a double set-up. You might call them, or access www.gorancho.com.

Go for it.

------------------
DOGMAN
91 4dr 5sp
5.5" Superlift

The 9000's sound like the way to go. All I have to do is figure out which part number to order. With the Duff hoop, the shock is 2.5 inches longer on the upper mount plus the 2.5 inch lift. The static or " at rest " length is 18.5 inches. I also like the in cab ajustment with these shocks also. I'll have to check the cost of this option.
As it sits now, I am trying to find a place to install 4.56 gears, and a detroit locker in the rear for 1500 or less. I can't even find a place that can do it! Dead Link Removed
Dogman, I'm glad you guys had a blast and wish we were there. But the wife can make a strong point when she wants to. No matter how lame it is Dead Link Removed(hope she doesn't see this)

------------------
JJW, 92 xlt,4x4

[This message has been edited by JJW (edited 02-25-2000).]

JJW-I think with the RS9000's ability to adjust, you can't go wrong. You'll be able to tailor the shock to your preference. I think you'll have an awesome set-up once its done.

JJW,

You can pick the correct length 9000 by looking on Rancho's website. They print the extended length, collapsed length, and mounting configuration for about 60 different models of 9000. I'm sure you can match your requirement to what they have. That's how I found which model to buy for my rig.

Don't think your wife was making a lame point, I'm sure she was just concerned with your safety on the long haul to Tuttle Creek through inclement weather. Not a bad thing to have, your wife worrying about you and your son. They'll be other times.

Good luck on the shock install.

------------------
DOGMAN
91 4dr 5sp
5.5" Superlift

Thanks for the input guys. I am going to order the RS9000. Only two to start with because I just orderd hubs,conversion,and the spare wheel and tire I kept forgeting about.I figure one Rancho and Duff shock per side should work untill the build bug bites again.(in a week or two). The boots will have to be changed of course Dead Link Removed Can't mix those colors you know.
Thanks to all,

------------------
JJW, 92 xlt,4x4

Back