• Register Today It's free!

Dumb moves....

ChrisHeapy

Reaction score
City, State
Macclesfield, UK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT (UK version)
Well I've only had my 'xplorer a few weeks, but I already made one stupid move :)

The plastic skirting around the rear wheel arches and rear door had taken a knock at some point in the past, it had sprung out leaving an unsightly gap so I decided to add a couple small bolts to hold it back in place. I drilled through the bit of the skirt on the rear door, and on through the edge of lip of the rear wheel arch. Fitted a couple of 4mm stainless bolts. Hey, looks neat - no gap! That's funny... why doesn't the door open?? Oops, I'd bolted the door to the body...!

So give us a laugh at your mechanical masterpieces then.

Chris

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Look at the bright side, at least you wouln't have to worry about wearing out the hinges and latch on that door.

Should also lessen your chance of getting car jacked and save you from gettin ejected during a roll over.

Hell, now you're like the Dukes of Hazard, just jump through the window.:D

Originally posted by ChrisHeapy
So give us a laugh at your mechanical masterpieces then.

I kept a huge home-made snowmobile ramp of 2 x 10's on a 3/4 sheet of plywood standing on end in my garage in front of my Ranger. I accidentally bumped the bottom of it once and it fell through about 50 degrees of travel before coming to rest on the hood of my otherwise perfect Ranger. I would have cried, but it put two perfectly symmetric troughs of dent in the hood and actually looked kind of cool. I never fixed it.

I pulled a Gomer

Once I was replacing the standard shocks with gas shocks on a Blazer I used to have. Well I mounted the top half of the shock then cut the wire to release the compressed shock. The bottom half extended so quick that it pinched the skin between my thumb and finger against the lower A-frame and held it there! I've never felt such PAIN! No one was around to help me get unpinched so I had to slide the shock and my hand to the edge of the A-frame to get unstuck. I'll never let that happen again.

smart people doin stupid things

We were changing the tire on my friend's Taurus. However we parked on a slight incline, inadvertantly. When we got the bad tire off, the car rolled forward over the jack and skidded about a foot on the brake disc. We had to bring 3 guys from the house next door to lift it and get the jack out from underneath. We jacked it back up and put the tire on, but it was still pretty embarassing.

Duh!

I can think one I did. Back in high school, I was changing the oil in one of my friends car, and I drained the oil, took the filter off, put the new filter on and filled it with oil. Forgot to put the drain plug back in. Thankfully we noticed the puddle of oil before we tried to start it. DOH!!Dead Link Removed

well i've never done anything horrible with a car yet... but i have done some pretty stupid stuff in my driveway. My dad usually parks on the other side of the driveway and its easy for me to get out of the garage.

So one day, I pull out of the garage when I was in a hurry and hit my dad's car going like 10 mph. No damage was done, but that was a major scare. I've never felt that stupid before. Probably one of the dumbest things i have ever done, not watching while reversing.

Well though it taught me a lesson in watching where i back up to. I always pay attention now!

no way!!! my mom did that too when my X was hers....she backed up into my tercel and took out all my left side light and shoved the radiator crosmember back a couple inches........what damage to the X? a few deep chrome scratches on the bumper....

I worked at a full service gas station after high school, and one day the guy I was working with had to put a quart of oil in a ladies car. After putting the oil in he neglected to put the oil cap back on and this lady just happened to be leaving town. Needless to say the owner of the station received a very nasty call the next day becuse oil had completely covered the whole underside of her hood as well as the engine and everything in between. What a mess!!!!

This was a potential diaster in the making....

One day at the marina, a "tourist" boater pulled up to the fuel dock and incerted the gas nozzle into a rod holder ( not the gas fil opening ) and pumped about 50 gal of gas into the bilge of his boat.

Another boneheaded move....

Here's my $1750 oops...

We were in a hurry to head out of town for the weekend and loaded up all our grear in the trunk of my Mercury Mystique, put my some things in the passenger side back seat, put my son in his car seat on the rear drivers side, and backed out of the garage...with the rear passenger door still open. Crunch. The door was now permanently open. It also crunched the front door, bent both hinges...big mess.

The insurance estimator guy got a pretty good laugh, he said this actually happens quite a bit.

One more bonus boner...I was doing pre-harvest oil changes on the grain trucks, tractors, etc, was doing about 5 oil changes at once, the rubber oil filter gasket stayed on the tractor, and I was in a hurry, forgot to check. Put the new filter on, filled with oil, started her up and oil sprayed all over the shop, about 25 feet away was the grain truck(freshly washed) and it got covered. Tried to clean it up before anyone noticed and laughed their ***** off, nobody did notice, but they were wondering why the windows on that grain truck were so dusty during harvest!

You all are making me feel better...

Pulled a bonehead move tonight. I was backing out of a space in a parking structure and didn't see the two foot tall concrete retaining wall behind me, but I sure felt it! Put a nice crease in the chrome part of the bumper and took a little gouge out of the black plastic on top. It's not *really* noticible but it's gonna bug the hell out of me, so I'm probably going to end up having it replaced. Maybe I'll get lucky and someone will rear end me again...

peace

Mike

This thread has me thinking back to bonehead moves I almost forgot about...

Back in high school, 6 of us got into my Dad's old '72 Ford 1/2 ton(my car was in the shop) and, needless to say it was kinda cramped for space in there. So...we did the obvious...I drove(operated the clutch and steering wheel) and my buddy operated the gas and the gear shift. Well, he put it in reverse, I let the clutch out. Well, he gunned the gas and I didn't have time to turn the steering wheel (not power steering) and we slammed into this guys freshly painted Turismo. It was in gear and had the parking brake on and I(we) still rammed it back about 15 feet. I was kinda scared to go into the school and tell him what happened. We totally destroyed his front clip and hood.

My dad's Ford never got a scratch. Good thing.

I got a $60 fine for "backing when unsafe."

Too funny...

Seems most of my bonehead acts start with:

I was in in a hurry and...

--OR--

After a day of drinking I decided too...

Back