magnaflow vs. stock

sirhk100

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
las vegas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91
So, looking for a quick 2nd opinion. I had to cut the tail pipe off my stock exhaust to fit some shock stuff in the rear of the expo. Oh... '91, 4.0L...

My options are to just have a muffler shop build a new tail pipe to get it dumped out the back again...

or...

I have a parts expo with a magnaflow under it I could have them cut off the stock muffler and slap the magnaflow in place.

I'm a fan of quiet vehicles but I don't think this magnaflow will be too loud. My biggest reasoning for even considering the magnaflow honestly is maybe any hope of a tiny bit more power? Think I'd notice anything at all or would it just be louder and nothing else? Although, I guess the louder exhuast mentally could convince me of more power kinda like the speed stickers... LOL

Anyways, really, if you're not a fan of loud exhausts but wouldn't mind a bit more power out of the ride, do you think it's worth having them toss a magnaflow muffler on if you already had one in your hands and basically the difference in labor cost would be about $10...

Thoughts? I'm planning to have something done tomorrow...

The 91-92's actually had an okay 2.25 factory exhaust system.

The Magnaflow might be okay, but is it a 2 inch, 2.25 inch, or 2.5 inch? 2.25 inch would be the best option, 2.5 inch would be rather large and make more noise.

Any reason you can't just take the entire exhaust off the parts truck and throw it on there?

If the stock muffler is still on there you could always just get a turndown tip and clamp it on yourself, making it dump in front of the rear axle.

Anything other than a rear pipe exiting out the side/back behind the rear tire is going to drone with the Magnaflow since it's a straight-though muffler. The resonance of the sound waves from under the body can be pretty loud with a dumped exhaust and a straight-through muffler.

Looking to have it dump out the back corner behind the axle/tire pretty much like stock. Reason I can't just swap is cause the tail pipe setup off the magnaflow will interfere with my suspension as well. Basically I need to have a custom routed tail pipe to work around my shocks.

I'm heavily leaning towards stock and just having a tailpipe done up for it.

Back