Easiest spot to ground a wire on the roof? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Easiest spot to ground a wire on the roof?

mdisalvo

Reaction score
City, State
SoCal
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Eddie Bauer Explorer
I'm looking for the easiest spot to put a ground wire on the roof of my 04 explorer. I'm putting a power switch on my stock dvd screen (long story) and just need some spot to ground a wire.

Could I just tap into the ground wire from the overhead lamp or is that a bad idea? I've considered removing the ceiling vents to go through there...any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The roof itself is a "ground" - or any body part.

Other thread deleted, please dont double post.

If you can get down to any of the bolts attaching the seats to the frame, those are good spots.. But for just what you're doing, you could probably just attach it to your stereo's ground wire - just twist all 3 wires together..

What about piggy backing off the ground from the dvd harness itself? I've attached some pics...The yellow/white wire that's spliced on the harness is the one I was trying to attached the power switch to...however it's not working out well. Does anybody know of another wire on here that would just cut power to the screen?

IMG_2809.jpg

IMG_2812.jpg

IMG_2814.jpg

IMG_2801.jpg

IMG_2800.jpg

These are a bunch of small wires that go to the screen. I tried cutting one of them to see if it would do anything, it didn't. I wasn't willing to cut more than one so I left it be after fixing it.
IMG_2805.jpg

What about piggy backing off the ground from the dvd harness itself?

I don't see why that wouldn't work. They're both wires and the dvd one is definitely grounded.. When I had the stock amp hooked up in mine after I put in a new deck, I grounded the stock amp wire by just twisting into the regular stereo ground, so all 3 together, and it worked fine.

You could use the overhead light like I did, I just used one of the screws (There were 3 screws, one was constant 12v, and one was for the doors, and the other was a ground)

I'm assuming the all black wire is hte ground. Does anybody know which one of the harness wires would power the screen? Or does anybody have any info on decoding the color of these wires?

Does anybody know which one of the harness wires would power the screen?

i would guess red or yellow, but that's just a guess haha. black sounds like it should be ground, you can test the individual wires with 1 of those little voltage meter things..

Back