Easy way to tell if transmission is bad | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Easy way to tell if transmission is bad

DingoNatas

Reaction score
City, State
Portland, Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer E.B.
1997 Explorer E.B. V6 4x4. What are easy ways to tell if the problem IS the transmission and not something different like electrical, or some linking component or a switch somewhere. I can't get information anywhere to diagnose what's wrong with my rig so I'll start with the transmission. If the transmission is bad the Explorer is going to Craigslist.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Easiest way is to describe the symptoms youre having, and others can help you narrow it down.

I've posted and posted and got nothing. But here goes again. 1997 Explorer E.B. V6 4WD.

"New here, so here goes. Today before work, I bought a 1997, Explorer, E.B., V6, 4WD, with 172K on her for $600. The only issue is what I believe to be the transfer case. When I start it up, the 4low or the 4WD light is on other than that, everything is fine, as long as it's in park. I can put it into drive and drive it in whatever mystery state it's in. I believe it's stuck in 4low. Then if I go to put it into ANY other position, Park, Reverse, Neutral, Drive, Two, or One, I get this grinding whine sound and it stays in whatever mystery gear it's in, continuing to move forward under idle power. I have to shut it off and then shift it back into park or neutral depending on the situation. First Question: Am I correct in assuming it's the Transfer Case? Second Question: Could the issue with the transfer case have damaged other parts of the rig, such as the transmission? Third Question: What would be cheaper on the wallet, scrapyard TC or a rebuild kit? Oh, and one last thing, I also have another 1997 Explorer E.B, that's a V8, AWD, with a tow package, I was going to use it to tow the new Explorer home but U-Haul said “No Explorers”, Why? Thank you. "

"Here is the situation: Bought a 1997 Explorer E.B. V6 4x4. I start it up, I shift into drive, the 4 Low light is on. I go to put it into park and I get a loud grinding/whine, I go to put it into neutral, I get a loud grinding/whine. I go to put it into any gear and I get a loud grinding/whine, and the vehicle continues to move forward under idle power in all gears. What do I need to tear apart? "

First, it would help a lot to know if any trouble codes are present. Does O/D OFF light flash on and off? Do you have the 3-position switch on dashboard labeled
4X4 Auto, 4X4 HIGH, and 4X4 LOW?

in Neutral, engine running, brake pedal depressed, make sure switch is in 4X4 AUTO position . See then whether it turns off 4X4 LOW light.

The fact that it moves in all selector positions, suggests a problem with the Transmission Range Switch. It may be broken. This switch is mounted on the left side of the transmission, where linkage connected in the old days. Check to see that the cable which moves the TRS is connected and not loose or broken.

There's some starters. imp

Don't know where codes would be. The vehicle is 100% unsafe to drive. So driving somewhere to plug it into a computer to get codes is out. Purchasing some device to get codes... I'm not gonna do that either. Yes there is a 3 position switch on the dash. I think you missed the part where it doesn't go into neutral. I did crawl under the rig to look around. I grabbed a hold of the front driveshaft (from the transfer case to the front end) and gave it a twist the entire rig rolled forward, some two or three feet, battery disconnected and in "park", (just playing around but totally unsafe). I got this rig as a parts car so I could harvest parts off this one for my other one. Some items are hard to find and are spendy. My mom saw it and loves to look of it and wants it. Everything on her is sharp, engine sounds great, body is dang neer perfect, interior looks new, and I've yet to find any rust problem areas. If I can find fix whatever the issue is for cheap I'll fix her and give it to my mom but honestly I'm hoping it's something big and expensive so I have an excuse to strip it for what I need and junk it. So here we are. Oh, and I'll check the TRS first thing tomorrow.

If I can find fix whatever the issue is for cheap I'll fix her and give it to my mom but honestly I'm hoping it's something big and expensive so I have an excuse to strip it for what I need and junk it. So here we are.

Okay, definitely the transmission is obviously completely shot. As in not able to be fixed. Your only option is to junk the car.

Thank you. Gonna do that this weekend.

Back