• Register Today It's free!

EB wont start, need help

GunnerSchenck

Reaction score
City, State
Sugar Grove, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Ford Explorer EB
i recently purchased a 1992 eddie bauer explorer, that i was told only needed a fuel pump, brake lines and an exhaust. i replaced the fuel pump, and this valve thing on the fuel rail because it was leaking and i figured maybe it wasnt still starting because maybe it wa reeasing pressure from the fuel rail and that was why it wouldnt start but ive replaced it and it still wont start. any ideas? when i try and start it, it rolls over but it sounds like its about to start then stops and starts rolling over again. like it will spudder, i guess. it's hard to explain. anyone know what this could be?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you checked for spark yet? If yes, try giving it a small shot of ether, and see if it starts. If yes, then you need to check for fuel pressure at the rail, to begin with.

if you have spark. check compression. low compression will make a car sputter because the gas is being burnt by the spark, but there is no compression to make it do anything. by low compression i mean almost none, like timing chain issues.

As others have said, more or less:

You must have 3 fundamentals for an engine to run: fuel, compression, and spark. Of these, fuel is the most common problem, but they are all easily tested as follows:

1. Find an auto parts store to loan you a fuel pressure gauge. Test fuel pressure (the link at the bottom of this post tells you how). If you plan on keeping and driving a first gen explorer, I suggest just buying one and keeping it in the truck.

2. Compression, really bad compression sounds like the engine is cranking faster than it should. But, borrow a compression tester along with the fuel pressure gauge, and just run a couple of cylinders. You will know quick enough.

3. Spark, there are spark gizmos so you can check spark without getting shocked, they are probably less than $5, and again, a good think to have in your tool box for any vehicle.

I would not buy another part until I have done these things. You could be looking at a $5 fuel filter... why spend more until you know?

(other bizarre possibilities) exhaust obstruction, clogged cat converter, a few different sensors can do this. Heck, a bad ground can do this and all you have to do is tighten a bolt...

i've tested for spark but not the fuel pressure yet. also, the timing belt seems to work fine and the timing doesnt sound like it's off but i'll still check it. could a bad fuel filter do this?

ik this makes me sound clueless, but where is the fuel filter placed on it?

(other bizarre possibilities) exhaust obstruction, clogged cat converter, a few different sensors can do this. Heck, a bad ground can do this and all you have to do is tighten a bolt...

Dude! I just had these exact symptoms on my '94 Mark VIII, I tried everything, ran fuel pressure tests, codes, compression tests, Checked power to coils, looked for air obstructions, bad grounds, swapped PCM's, and it ended up being an Effing clogged exhaust! Go figure!

ik this makes me sound clueless, but where is the fuel filter placed on it?

I beleive the fuel filter is under the drivers side door/floor pan area.

You can buy a fuel pressure kit at harbor frieght (if they have those were you are - or you can purchase online) for 20 bucks.

If you have confirmed spark, fuel pressure is next. Make sure you can hear your fuel pump come on, then hook the gauge up to the schrader valve on the fuel rail. I'm not sure what the pressures are supposed to be, but I *think* it should be around 35-40 psi.

Run the compression test next, the tester can be had at any autoparts store, and is a great tool to have if you plan on working on your own vehicle(s).

I would also check all grounds you can find, an EVTM would help find them easier, but you can poke around yourself to look for loose/corroded/rusted connections. It would also not hurt to run a new ground from the neg. battery cable to the frame.

It's a lot of work buddy, but will definitely pay off in the end. Keep it up.

well, i currently have the exhaust disconnected because i have to put a new one on it. and i found the filter, but how should i go about taking off the fuel lines from it if i can't find my tool for it?

well, i currently have the exhaust disconnected because i have to put a new one on it. and i found the filter, but how should i go about taking off the fuel lines from it if i can't find my tool for it?

You gotta find that tool, or else you will prob. have to replace some fuel lines as well.

ill keep looking for it, but i'm not sure where i put it after i changed the fuel pump. so there's no way of getting it off without that tool?

ill keep looking for it, but i'm not sure where i put it after i changed the fuel pump. so there's no way of getting it off without that tool?

I've never tried, but I'm sure you would mess up the connections trying to get it off, causing leaks when you re-install. Too bad you aren't close, I just bought a new fuel filter disconnect set yesterday. We would have that beast up and running.

i found my tool and got the back off(and got my face covered in gas in the process 0.o), but broke the thing broke trying to get the front off. and i kept trying for a good half hour on the front of it with just using the broken parts to get it off but got too frustrated due to the lack of space..and i'm not the greatest at handling small parts so kept dropping it. i'll have to pick up a new tool and go at it again

okay i replaced the fuel filter and it still wouldnt start. so i put 2 more gallons of gas in it and it still wouldnt start. so i put some in the throttle body and it started right up and ran until i assume is when the gas in the throttle body ran out. any ideas what it could be?

It would seem as though your fuel is not getting where it's supposed to be through the fuel system. Do you hear your fuel pump kick on when you turn the key?

yeah, i just put in a fuel pump, shrader valve and fuel filter. i can hear the pump prime when the key turns on. and i know it at least gets to the filter because when i had the back of the filter off and not the front i turned the key in it to on(wasnt thinking and had to get a cd out of the cd player) and it ran through the fuel line all over my creeper >.<

i just did a few small things to see what possibilities i could knock out of the equation. so when i got back i cleaned the throttle body and sprayed some ether in and it started for a few second then died. also, someone recommended trying to jump start it to see if it was a problem with the engine not cranking fast enough so i tried it and it didnt seem to affect anything because it still didnt start up. any ideas?

so i put some in the throttle body and it started right up and ran until i assume is when the gas in the throttle body ran out.

sprayed some ether in and it started for a few second then died.

as 4x4exploder88 said, it really looks like it is a fuel related issue. I know somebody suggested a fuel pressure test. Even though you've replaced a few parts of the fuel system, the only real way I see to diagnose this is to put a fuel pressure gauge on it and see what the fuel system is doing. If the pressure is too low, then you need to figure out why it is too low. If the fuel pressure is where it should be, then the injectors are probably either clogged or not firing.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

is there any at-home ways of removing and cleaning your fuel injectors?

Back