• Register Today It's free!

ecm and PATS question

fordguy64

Reaction score
City, State
Cincinnati,Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 RANGER
ok here is the deal im building a crawler http://http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21969 and i can pic up a 2000 explorer motor with all the wiring and accessories to make it run other then the ecm for 550.. ive been told that the newer ford cars have pats or some other similar security system.. how hard is it going to be to get the motor to run with not having the original ecm basically im just worried about the security system keepin me from getting the thing running.. what year ecms will fit in the 2000

Thanks
Rob

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

PATS began in 97 or 98, and it can be shut off in a PCM tuner/flasher like SCT sells. You need to decide about that and also whether to run a return style fuel system, or the returnless of 99 and newer PCM's. You can buy the needed injector rails(96-98 or 99-01), PCM and PATS module(98+) to match what you need. Decide about fuel rails, it's easier usually to go with the type that are in the vehicle. What year is the Ranger?

FYI a 2002 Sport Trac just got finished using a 96 Explorer 302, PCM and extra fuel line with pre-99 pump. Welcome,

what year pcms work with the 2000... the ranger is totally custom its a 91 and it only had a 4.0 all the original wiring and stuff is long gone... the motor im looking at is a v-8 (donno if explorers came with other motors factory this year) like im putting a fuel cell in it and i have to buy a fuel pump so fuel system is open for anything at this point...

Basically the 99-01 PCM's will swap. But remember that if you choose the PATS type, you have to match the PATS module. That means literally that they are programmed to each other by a special Ford diagnostic tool. The engine will not start if the PCM, PATS, and key chip do not match. That's why it is best to plan which type to use, for the non PATS PCM there is no PATS module, the dash wiring is a little different without it.

If you are dealing with a 96 Ranger, then make it easier and use a 96 Explorer 302 PCM and wiring. Then you don't have to change anything in your fuel system I think, check on the RPS forum about that. You might do best with a harness from the 96 or 97 then. Check to be sure if the 97 had PATS or not. I think it didn't, meaning 96 and 97 would be the same wiring. A used PCM should be no more than $50.

If you get one with PATS, just have a tune burned that disables it. Contact James here in our vendor site. He has a good handle on these cars using SCT software and hardware.

ok thank you guys very much for your help...

one other question what does the PATS disable? just the starter? or more?

It kills the fuel pump relay mainly to stop the engine from starting. It also requires that the right key is used to enable the ignition again, or the key fob button etc. I would do without it if I was making that choice. For an alarm you have many choices for more advanced features. The PATS is all about the special key coding, it's unique but how likely are you going to need that?

yea im just going withe the 95-97 explorer or efi mustang computer and harness... thanks again for your help

Check into the RPS forum also for examples of other Rangers with the Explorer 302 in them. They will have better feedback about which engine system(PCM) is easier to install. The Explorer OBDII is more advanced and any flasher can be used to program the PCM for engine changes.

Back