ECM compatibility? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ECM compatibility?

captcorvette

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Eddie Bauer Explorer
Howdy to all of you from Dubai. Newbie here with a big problem. I have a '98 Eddie Bauer Explorere with the 4.0. Put my scanner on it to see what code was tripping the check engine light. Surprise. No code listed. Bigger surprise? Car was running when I parked it from of my garage door. Shut it off and it has never started again. Scanner won't connect now. I am thinking perhaps a shorted ECM? This one is a DMD1 (Export model car). The number on the ECM is: F87F-12A650-BBB. Cannot find any number like this in the scrap yards.

Question: Is there other compatible ECM's that you can pass along the numbers for me to search? Will this ECM have to be "programmed"? Local Ford agencies will not accept a car over 8 years old. I am the original owner. Remote keys are original and in my hand. Keys are original and also in my hand.

Any guidence? Goes without saying it will be much appreciated.
Capt.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

1) If the CEL is on, there definitely are stored codes. The scanner that you used might not have had the capability to extract them.
2) Before you scrap your PCM, check the appropriate fuses and relays (#5 under the dash for the data link connector and #19 for the PCM power diode. Also, in the power distribution box under the hood, relay #4 and fuse #10 for PCM power).
3) A replacement PCM will need to be reprogrammed if you have PATS (Passive Anti Theft System). 98 was the first year for PATS in US models, but I don't know about exports. If you can't find that information in the owner's manual, you can probably tell by looking at the key: a thick plastic head indicates there is a PATS chip buried in there.

Howdy to all of you from Dubai. Newbie here with a big problem. I have a '98 Eddie Bauer Explorere with the 4.0. Put my scanner on it to see what code was tripping the check engine light. Surprise. No code listed. Bigger surprise? Car was running when I parked it from of my garage door. Shut it off and it has never started again. Scanner won't connect now. I am thinking perhaps a shorted ECM? This one is a DMD1 (Export model car). The number on the ECM is: F87F-12A650-BBB. Cannot find any number like this in the scrap yards.

Question: Is there other compatible ECM's that you can pass along the numbers for me to search? Will this ECM have to be "programmed"? Local Ford agencies will not accept a car over 8 years old. I am the original owner. Remote keys are original and in my hand. Keys are original and also in my hand.

Any guidence? Goes without saying it will be much appreciated.
Capt.

Thank you for the replies. I have practically lived on eBay, Craigslist, amazon and any other site I can google but no joy on this specific part number nor can I find any way to see what would be a compatible part number. Don't have things like Autozone etc., here that have great databases or knowledgeable parts people. Hence my quizzing the forums but thanks for making sure I was trying that.

This is definitely a PATs key. However there is no security light and now anything that has to do with the ECM is not functioning. Reason I plugged in my AutoTech 7000 scanner was the find a nagging code. Now no codes, no connection to anything electrical but it will crank as long as the battery holds up. Put my starting cart on it and I would image I could spin the starter until the brushes burned out. But not one lick of a hit on firing even one cylinder. When I plugged the scanner into the OBD plug all was well. Thought I heard a bit of a "pop" but was not sure and all of the sudden no codes, no security light, no idiot lights etc.. But starter would turn over. Now scanner will not connect at all so I was thinking that perhaps a connection to the ECM had toasted? Vandals are over here just like there at home. The only thing I found amiss was on the right hand lower frame chassis rail there is a relay shelf. All the relay's were there but there was one missing which left a bit of a clean area where a relay MIGHT have been. The standard relay's do not fit there as the place where the blades will insert are a tad bit larger than the standard relay's. Cannot find anything out about that relay shelf which is right below the air intake filter housing.

I am not a "greenie or sparkie" or what ever the modern term is for a spark chaser but I can manage a volt meter. Just not sure if there was a relay there or if my scanner toasted a relay, fusible link, or any else in the spark (magic) arena so am lost on that end. I have looked at other Explorers and cannot find that relay shelf so think it might be specific to the Eddie Bauer model with all the bells and whistles. Yep just more things to go wrong but the little extra niceties are enjoyable over here with summer temperatures average triple digits.

More instructions or suggestions from all of you who know much more about this car than I?

You probably blew the fuse - it's the same fuse with cigarette lighter (#17 - 25A).

Back