• Register Today It's free!

Ecoboost thought

alexk

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 Limited
Just curious to see what those with the ecoboost, or that have driven it, think about it. Maybe its me but I felt like the engine is lacking. It seems like I have to push the gas harder than when Im in the V6. What does everyone else think?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have had my EcoBoost for over 3 weeks now and I am still loving it. I test drove both and really did not notice that much of a difference. I am coming from a 2005 F-150 with the 5.4L V-8 and acceleration was not that great. I think the 0-60 times are about the same between the F-150 and my Ex. The EcoBoost is not a speed demon but that is not why I bought this vehicle. I am loving the savings in gas over my F-150.

I've had my ecoboost for two weeks.

It has plenty of power. I just took it from LA to Bakersfield (over the 4000 ft Tejon Pass) and with three adults and two kids I had absolutely no problems. It downshifts during the steep parts and does just fine.

I average around 19MPG for mixed driving. This is below the rated, but I would bet that it gets better than what I would get with the V6.

The area where I live is terrible for gas mileage no matter what you drive. Tons of hills and street lights. My hybrid was rated for 33 in the city and I would get 22-23 in my area so I don't feel to bad with my 16-17 city average in the ecoboost. I have gotten around 28MPG driving the ecoboost on a flat freeway going around 65MPH, so they aren't totally blowing smoke.

V6 is better, you'll regret the 4 banger and as it get solder those turbo seals will leak and other maintenance headache. Less working parts better it is.
My 2 cents

Like any turbo as you cruise fuel economy will be great, as soon as you bury your foot to get things motivated you wont see much fuel savings vs. A larger engine. I haven't driven the ecoboost but it shouldn't suffer much from turbo lag with the twin turbo setup. I love driving a turbo setup in mountainous regions, just bury the accelerator and it pulls you past every car around you with little downshifting needed. I've got the v6 but the ecoboost option is pretty cool.

the ecoboost is a single turbo 4

Like any turbo as you cruise fuel economy will be great, as soon as you bury your foot to get things motivated you wont see much fuel savings vs. A larger engine. I haven't driven the ecoboost but it shouldn't suffer much from turbo lag with the twin turbo setup. I love driving a turbo setup in mountainous regions, just bury the accelerator and it pulls you past every car around you with little downshifting needed. I've got the v6 but the ecoboost option is pretty cool.

I love that people who have not even driven one are hating on it.

the ecoboost is a single turbo 4

Oh wow , my salesman lied to me then, he told me it was a twin turbo, what a goof. No hating from me on the engine, ive owned turbo fours for quite a few years and I know what they are capable of doing. I've heard the testing of all of Fords ecoboost engines was pretty grueling so they should run fine for many miles down the road. The issue of a turbo re-build is something that will likely be needed sometime down the road, hopefully it is well beyond the number of miles that most people hold onto their vehicles.

Maybe its just me then. I would never get the ecoboost because if Im buying an SUV it better be 4x4, otherwise I would just buy a minivan. However it does impress me the figures they can get out of these engines, but they just dont have the power I want. Now throw the 3.5 ecoboost in and Id be all over that!

Oh wow , my salesman lied to me then, he told me it was a twin turbo, what a goof. No hating from me on the engine, ive owned turbo fours for quite a few years and I know what they are capable of doing. I've heard the testing of all of Fords ecoboost engines was pretty grueling so they should run fine for many miles down the road. The issue of a turbo re-build is something that will likely be needed sometime down the road, hopefully it is well beyond the number of miles that most people hold onto their vehicles.

Keep your oil changed when it's scheduled and don't immediately shut the engine off after driving it hard, like a long extended up hill climb, and the turbo will last as long as the engine.

I owned a highly modified (all by me) 92 Eclipse GSX so I have a idea of what I'm talking about.

sdmcwilliams said:
I love that people who have not even driven one are hating on it.

Amen. I'm surprised there is only one "they should've put the 3.5 Eco in this thing" post in here so far. What people tend to forget is that Ford has no doubt spent millions on market research to determine a majority of these X buyers aren't taking it off the pavement, but rather shuttling kids around and running errands. Well, at least in the big cities and suburbs. The reason I want the X is because it's sexy as hell, and I'd rather not drive a minivan. I can see the concern about the turbo needing maintenance later down the road, but just as a previous poster has mentioned, as long as you keep up with the maintenance, 10 years should be a problem.

V6 is better, you'll regret the 4 banger and as it get solder those turbo seals will leak and other maintenance headache. Less working parts better it is.
My 2 cents

You do realize that just about everything you own, including that K1200, was brought to you on a turbocharged truck?

If turbos are headaches then truckers must all have brain tumors by now.:rolleyes:

you can add an intake to it and add quite a bit of power....turbos LOVE the extra air. i know my mazdaspeed3 did.....

I skipped over the ecoboost option because the Ford Canada website showed the two engines as having the same fuel economy ratings, so I didn't understand the price difference and stuck with the v6. After buying the truck I seen that the two engines do have different fuel economy ratings, I might have cosidered it closer if I had known that because I do alot of highway driving. But I have very little to complain about with the V6, I'm getting pretty good fuel economy thus far. Props to Ford for offering an alternative engine, it could likely benefit certain consumers , options are always good.

Back