Are all ecoboosts strong as 448AA test engine? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Are all ecoboosts strong as 448AA test engine?

Ecobeast88

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Ford Explorer Sport
Are they all strong as the test engine 448AA? For the sport guys out there, How hard you run the ecoboost on a daily basis? Mine seams to hate putting around town but enjoys stretching it's legs on the highway. I'm talking all stock no modifications. Everyone I see with an ecoboost drives slow. So how bad is it to redline the ecoboost few times a week? I never really read how strong the motor is besides the torture test one but that could have been fake or rigged knowing Ford.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

with the DI and turbos I recommend you run it out in a gear occasionally.

for no other reason that to make the injectors run max pressure for a moment and keep them clean.

While there might be some out there that have some premature failures of parts - I'd say at stock levels you'll be fine. my guestimate as a ME, having looked into one but I don't own one.

well yet.

disclaimer - notice I say in a gear - as it please stay under all posted speed limits in the US of A. Now IN mexico or canada - do what you need to

Only asking because I had a BMW 335i which was direct injected twin turbo and it ran like crap after 30k miles. I was thinking because I "babied" it for all them miles didn't wanna break a new car lol. Just wanted to see what people do to run them hard.

Carbon buildup in the intake is a big issue on the newer direct injection autos. You really need to run it hard a few times every time you go on a 30 mile+ Hwy trip. That way the engine is fully up to operating conditions and all the carbon is warmed up and has the best chance of breaking loose. I would do a seafoam throttle body spray every 30k mi to keep the junk down.

Are they all strong as the test engine 448AA? For the sport guys out there, How hard you run the ecoboost on a daily basis? Mine seams to hate putting around town but enjoys stretching it's legs on the highway. I'm talking all stock no modifications. Everyone I see with an ecoboost drives slow. So how bad is it to redline the ecoboost few times a week? I never really read how strong the motor is besides the torture test one but that could have been fake or rigged knowing Ford.

There is a difference between that Ecoboost engine and the Ecoboost engines for the non-trucks. The difference is the turbochargers. http://www.f150hub.com/specs/ecoboost.html

The Honeywell-Garrett GT15 in the Explorer, Taurus, Flex, versus the Borg Warner K03 in the F-150. I've been trying to find numbers on the Honeywell-Garrett GT15 but it seems to me this turbo is bigger than the K03.

It also seems that the Borg Warner K03 is stated to be engineer strong based on the article for the 2.0L Ecoboost which is in the Fusion and Ford Focus ST. There's also a difference between that 2.0L Ecoboost in the Fusion and Focus ST than the 2.0L in the Ford Explorer and Edge.

"The upper temperature limit for the turbine wheel used on the 2.0-liter EcoBoost engine in Edge and Explorer is 970 degrees Celsius (1,778 degrees Fahrenheit). But in the sporty 2.0-liter EcoBoost for Fusion and Focus ST, the addition of tungsten and cobalt gives the alloy an upper temperature limit of 1,050 degrees Celsius (1,922 degrees Fahrenheit)."

http://fordstnation.com/top-stories/1533-article-officially-official-k03-turbo-borgwarner.html

Found this chart too:

http://www.automobile-catalog.com/curve/2014/1770830/ford_explorer_sport.html

and did this comparison:
http://www.automobile-catalog.com/auta_cmp_bb2.php

with
http://www.automobile-catalog.com/car/2014/1618775/lincoln_mkt_awd_ecoboost.html
and
http://www.automobile-catalog.com/car/2014/1770830/ford_explorer_sport.html

That I find highly disappointing since the MKT has 350lb-ft of torque at 1500 RPM but the performance doesn't really seem to be different with the Explorer's 0-60 at 6.4 versus the MKT's 7.

What I'm trying to get to with all that is that the Ecoboosts in all the cars seem the same but they are actually different. Either tuning wise or turbocharger wise.

With the tuning in the Explorer Sport, it seems like they half tuned it for reliability. 350 lb-ft at 3500 RPM instead of 1500 RPM but it's definitely not the engine. I think you can floor the hell out of the engine and it should be fine. Just make sure you do regular oil changes. I've been doing so with my Explorer 3.5L N/A going 110 MPH for like 20 miles chasing someone who hit and run.

The main limiting factor you should actually be looking for in your sport is the halfshafts, driveshaft, transmission, and PTU and that's why they don't tune the Explorer to have more than 350lb-ft of torque vs 420lb-ft of torque that makes the F-150 such a beast. The limiting factor is the car itself, not the engine.

I wouldn't put strain on your engine for the first 5,000 miles though. I know break in is 1,000 but I'd do 5,000 just to be safe. However, I'd run it hard time to time to really prevent the carbon build up because you can't do an induction service on these cars or else it destroys the turbo.

Carbon buildup in the intake is a big issue on the newer direct injection autos. You really need to run it hard a few times every time you go on a 30 mile+ Hwy trip. That way the engine is fully up to operating conditions and all the carbon is warmed up and has the best chance of breaking loose. I would do a seafoam throttle body spray every 30k mi to keep the junk down.

While I agree in premise - I would extend those times a bit mostly because of the newer oil formulations.

Only reason I say that is the throttle body spray can be a bit dangerous and doing it right means you need to take the intake off - get PAST the MAF (mass airflow sensor) and then spraying down the runners - with the engine running and preferably at some minimal boost.

Past the MAF is important because you can damage the sensor.

seems like a lot right - well it is.

however getting up past that 3600rpm mark occasionally will help loads - mostly it gets the oil pressure up, spins the turbo up - but it also requires longer injector duty - and higher rail pressures (if regulated and ECU monitored - and I think they are on the ford).

thus valves whip fairly quick but not redline quick - cylinder temps increase - injectors click in and out with more fuel flow - etc.

to the other guys post - yes there's probably more risk of over slaming the trans or getting to much jerk (hard accelerations) through the drive train.

I wouldn't hammer it from a dig as much as I would pass someone, or a few someone's like you mean to.

Back