Educate me on the 5.0l Explorer/Mountainer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Educate me on the 5.0l Explorer/Mountainer

86BroncoII

Reaction score
City, State
Roy Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
1986 Bronco II
So, in the past I had a Bronco II that I modded a lot with Waggy axles and leaf springs, etc. I sold it a while back and now am looking for something again. However, this time I do not want the full rock crawler off roader. I am looking for more of a mild Overlander/Avdenture rig for mild trails and camping.
I plan to do Forest Service roads, Fire roads and the Back Country Discovery Routes. I have done them on a Motorcycle and have seen plenty of jeeps and other trucks on them .
I want a V8 and I want a 96-01, prefer 97-01. I want the GT40 heads if I can, but any 96-01 will work. I want the 96-01 due to the fact that it is the only small SUV that I can lay down in the back of, all the others are too short in the back. So, it has to be a 4 door.
So, the questions I have are these:
1. How well will the AWD work for mild off-roading? I know I can install the 4406, but that will be a while.
2. What years are best?
3. What should I loo out for?
4. Price seems to be $1500-$4000 for nice ones, what would you pay?

More info. I will have a winch, I have a High Lift, I have experience. I want the V8 because of the power and I like the 5.0l engine. The trans is also much better int he V8s. Gas mileage is of little concern, I work from home and will only use this for fun. I also just moved to a large piece of land and I have a steep driveway. When it snows, my wifes car gets stuck at the bottom. So, it will get used when it snows, but that is not that often here. (Yakima Wa.)
Any other advice would be good. I can't afford to buy the wrong one, need to get it right the first time.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Go for the newest one you can get with lowest miles. Later models have better transmission updates.

Make sure all bulbs turn on during bulb check ( key on) payin particular attention for abs light and check engine lights to turn on and off.

AWD off road will overheat the transmission climbing slow hills. Don't even try.

4406 swap for low range should be a priority if you do go the v8 explorer route. Additional transmission cooling should also be planned.

What Jon said is truth

1. How well will the AWD work for mild off-roading? I know I can install the 4406, but that will be a while.
It will work for hitting the trails as a weekend warrior, but once you have the 4406 you will know why the awd has to go in the trash for a rear trail rig/weekend warrior
AWD is good for DD and snow, mild dirt roads, it is not good for actual 4x4ing.

2. What years are best?
96-01 are all good. 99-01 are the best. The 5.0L trucks all use the bulletproof pushrod 302 and the very stout 4r70w transmission, the later ones from 99-01 had better parts on the engine and some transmission upgrades internal that make them a very good choice

3. What should I loo out for?
lowest miles and PIO (pride in ownership)

4. Price seems to be $1500-$4000 for nice ones, what would you pay?
Whatever your budget allows and get the lowest miles possible. I pay from $300-3500 for these trucks just to get my hands on as many 5.0 as I can. Even though the 99-01 are the best, the 96-98 trucks are still awesome, so basically find the lowest miles you can with the least amount of rust

Thank you for the info. I think the worst I will encounter off road will be a short, less than 1/8 mile steep baby-head rocky hill climb. Other than that most of what I will see could probably be done with a 2wd pick-up. Most of it is just rough uneven roads, all dirt and gravel, maybe some snow depending on the time of year.
As far as rust, that is a non-issue. I live in the desert and cars around here mostly rust free.
I own an 84 Chevy K30 Dually with ZERO rust, even has the original exhaust. It also has 17K original miles. And I have a 65 C10 and the only rust is in the front fender where they all rusted due to poor design. the cab and bed are rust free. 300+ days of sunshine has its advantages. Oh, and no salt when it does snow.

So, one more quick question. For my needs would I be better off with the V6? I am not a big fan of those, they seem under powered, unreliable, and have poor transmissions. Every ad I see for a V6 seems to indicate that the trans was replaced, or needs to be replaced. Engines don't seem to have any better track record. What do you think? I have had several 302/5.0l Fords, mostly Crown Vics and the engines are fantastic and no transmission issues.

bingo
You said it
I am a big fan of the Ranger platform, the 84-90 Ranger and BII became the 91-94 explorer and 90-97 Ranger which evolved into the IFS 95-01 Explorer and 98-11 Ranger.
I love all of these vehicles, I have been daily driving a 88 BII for 20+ years now and I have built/flipped countless trucks
All of the V6 engines use some variation of the same automatic. The A4LD, 4r55e and 5r55e all derived from the old C3 auto in the Pinto.
When Ford decided to compete with Jeep grand Cherokee and Dodge durango by putting the SBF into the Explorer, it was about the best damn favor they ever did for us enthusiasts.
Why?
Because not only did they package the Cobra GT40 302 pushrod to fit in the IFS explorer engine bay, but they grabbed the automatic from the 1/2 ton trucks, the 4r70w (AODE and its predecessor transmissions).
the best thing to happen to any RBV (Ranger based vehicle) was the 96-01 302 GT40 full roller small block with its high volume oil and water pumps, dual timing chain, short serpentine front dress including 135 amp alternator and metal power steering pump. On top of this they used the 4r70w 4 speed automatic!! 4 speed with computer controlled lock up converter.
4 = 4 speed
R = reverse
70 = 700 ft lbs (Factory rating!)
W = Wide ratio gearset (when compared to the AOD-E predecessor)

The 97-11 4.0L SOHC engine makes more power then the 302, yet it uses the pinto V6 trans gone modern, the 5r55e. This is a 4 speed automatic (a4ld) that uses a computer controlled 1st gear + overdrive to create a false second gear. I will say these are GOOD TRANSMISSIONS especially in the later years 2002+ BUT it is no 4r70w. And when they are rebuilt.....nightmare can begin.

these are all good trucks! But you know I am a big fan of the Explorer gt40 302 and 4r70w drivetrain, with the 302, 306, 327, 331 or 347 small blocks the sky is the limit power wise, and this trans can be built to take it.

Back