96-01 5.0L brake booster .. why the 5.0L label ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

96-01 5.0L brake booster .. why the 5.0L label ?

soon2b351

Reaction score
City, State
whoopa$$ michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 expedition 2 door
every interchange I use shows the 4.0L and 5.0L brake booster is the same for 96-01 explorer/mountaineer yet the 5.0L version has a "5.0L" tag on the top, anyone know if there is in fact any difference in the boosters ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My guess is that here probably were some subtle difference in units when the truck was built, most likely to ease assembly, i.e., angle of vacuum connector, length of lines/hoses/harnesses attached to the assembly most likely are not the same for each engine but don't apply when replacing components-you're just replacing the booster/mc not all the lines going to it. Even oem Ford replacement catalog doesn't differentiate between engines.

Bill

My guess is that here probably were some subtle difference in units when the truck was built, most likely to ease assembly, i.e., angle of vacuum connector, length of lines/hoses/harnesses attached to the assembly most likely are not the same for each engine but don't apply when replacing components-you're just replacing the booster/mc not all the lines going to it. Even oem Ford replacement catalog doesn't differentiate between engines.

Bill

it could just be a canister diameter thing, or (as stated) vacuum hose valve connection location. I see no other reason for the label as all boosters are pretty much the same. the master cylinder could be different due to the 5.0 being heavier to the 4.0's.

it could just be a canister diameter thing, or (as stated) vacuum hose valve connection location. I see no other reason for the label as all boosters are pretty much the same. the master cylinder could be different due to the 5.0 being heavier to the 4.0's.

Even the MC's don't differentiate between engine...only whether there is cruise or not, or if the proportion valve is on it. So the mystery continues...

Bill

Even the MC's don't differentiate between engine...only whether there is cruise or not, or if the proportion valve is on it. So the mystery continues...

Bill

when i'm not feeling so lazy, i'll go outside and compare my SOHC and 5.0L boosters and see if there's any visual difference.

Maybe is inside :)
Vacuum from the 5.0 might be lower than the 4.0, so the internal diaphragm spring might be slightly stronger?

Maybe it was so the assembly line would know which engine to throw into each vehicle as it came down the line?

It's probably something along those lines. Perhaps it was a sticker so the next guy knew to put on the bigger brakes for the 5L.

Back