• Register Today It's free!

Effing Interior door handles

bounsoul

Reaction score
City, State
NY, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 XLS
I have an 01 explorer xls with two broken interior rear door handles. I bought new door handles, put them on, and whammo, after about a day, they broke too. What the hell is going on here. My only GUESS is that the metal rod that the handles move is bent or something. Does anyone have any ideas about how to fix this, and does anyone know if/where they sell the whole unit, including new rods? I have researched the posts here. Most are about the front driver's side door not working.

ALSO, my front passenger's side door will lock, but when you lift the handle from the outside, it just unlocks by itself, kind of like it does when you lift the handle of a locked door from the inside. Any ideas on that?

Those aftermarket handles are garbage. I've broken 3 myself on p-side. My rod was bent, probably from the window coming down on it. I finally cured the problem by bending the rod so that it unlatches when you first start pulling on the handle. I'm pretty sure I made the rod shorter. It doesn't take much to snap that plastic. Alerting others to be careful not to pull to hard if the door won't open is the key. I actually did't break the handles myself, others did when they pulled too damn hard when the thing would'nt open. Good luck. Tim

Back