EGR Flow Insufficient P0401 - help - | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

EGR Flow Insufficient P0401 - help -

EMBPilot

Reaction score
City, State
Jersey Shore
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Ranger 4x4 XLT 4.0L
Hey guys,
twice in one month... first the brakes now this.

Ive noticed sometimes lately pushing the accelerator during the first drive of the morning the truck seems to surge a little bit, also while driving steady at say 30-40 mph (constant accelerator position) sometimes the truck will pulsate ever so slightly. The engine seems to be running just fine but i can feel these sensations very slightly in my seat. highway driving, and otherwise around town seems to be normal.

this has been going on for about a week.
today the CEL came on.

I hooked it up to the computer at Advanced and it spit out the following

P0401
EGR Flow Insufficient

where can i start?

thanks for your time,
Kevin

start by searching this forum!

This is a VERY common code on your truck and its covered on this forum often.

There are many things to check visually to ensure the code is accurate.
Then you want to clear the code and see if it returns.

On two second gen Explorer's I have worked on this code has lead to a faulty DPFE sensor, but since they are $50+ you want to check the hoses, wires and function of the EGR vacuum switch, valve diaphram and then finally look into replacing the DPFE

Good luck!

well after the search it pretty much told me it was going to be one or a combo of three things
- DPFE
- EGR valve
- EGR Solenoid

I ordered a new EGR valve (28 bucks) and i installed a new DPFE (60). It gave me an excuse to buy a new 1/4 drive set, that spot back there is tight to get 7mm socket in.

Some short driving later it looks like it was the DPFE after all.

once again, you guys saved me a lot of cash and the loss of my car for a few days. Cant thank you enough. I'll post back if the CEL returns for this issue and post results if i do any further changes.

Kevin

Back