• Register Today It's free!

Elec Controlled 4X4 not working

Stealth_TT

Reaction score
City, State
Sewad, Nebraska
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Eddie Bauer Explorer
I just recently got a 94 Eddiebauer explorer for free. Well when i turn the car on the lights on the push button 4x4 flash. When i push the buttons nothing happens the lights don't come one and it certainly does not go into 4 wheel drive. So is the switch burnt out or what?

its probably the switch solenoids are froze up, like mine were when i first got mine. do you hear the motor trying to engage, it should sound like a tick tick. you dont have to have the engine running, just the key in the on posistion. try getting under the car and knocking the electric solenoids wiht a hammer a couple times, if they are froze up this might help. if not you have to buy a new electric motor deal, which can be expensive.

4x4 not working

I had the same probelem and checked / replaced every eletronic part except the switch on the dash. Even pulled the motor that moves the transfer case gearing and tore it apart and cleanded .. much cheaper and fairley easy to do ... took motor to a shop and the tested it and it works . . but to this day I still have no 4x4 and the only part left is the switch to replace on the dash .. anyway you might have better luck if you clean the motor. You can find them on line for about 100 bucks ... dealer will run over 300.

Thanks,
Richard

Try this:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97004

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123542&highlight=shift+motor+rebuild

I just made $100 with the help of this thread! Thanks!

My friend bought a 91 or 92 EB X, he picked it up for nearly nothing, one of the 'major' problems it had is the 4x4 hasn't worked in a few years....I told him I just 're-built' my 4x4 shift motor, and I could do the same for him. I removed his shift motor, pulled the red 'keeper' out of the plug using a nail and some needle nose pliers. pulled the brown center wire out, and took the motor to my house for disassembly. Sure enough, the nylon/plastic bushing was in 5 pieces in the housing. I replaced it with a small section (1/4" - 3/8" long) of rubber hose, cleaned up the motor contacts (they were VERY black with carbon deposits), lubed and re-assembled.

I installed the motor and it worked perfectly........

Thanks!

Aloha, Mark

Back