Electric Parking Brake automatically engages when shifted to park | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Electric Parking Brake automatically engages when shifted to park

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Thank you for the information. Much appreciated.:thumbsup:

Peter

Thanks I'm happy to be here!
Anytime! As long as legally I'm able to provide information I always like to help out when I can!

So far this is the most organized forum that I found so I figured might as well register an account. :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Unfortunately my 2021 Platinum is not eligible for the patch to automatically apply the parking brake.
It was built at the beginning of September 2021 and is not included in the recall associated with the subframe/axle bolt fracture.
I've made it a habit to set the parking brake manually and now want this to be automatic.

you all that have the auto-engaging PB - could just use the switch to disengage/turn off the PB after starting your vehicle....
It doesn't have to only be disengaged via the gas peddle

Anyone notice that the car makes random relay noises associated with the brake when the car is off

For example I sit in car line stopped 1 hour a day, when I’m able I turn it off, about 20-30 min in while sitting in the parked car with it off, it makes a few sounds and the dash lights up see it say parking brake on and the shuts down again

Same thing happened when I’m out of the car, again 20-30 min with the hood open installing the catch can it again clicked popped and buzzed and then stopped not sure it it’s doing it after that interval but I’m about to set up the GoPro

I don't have the feature on my Aviator so I can't comment on the dash light coming ON but as far as the vehicle making all kinds of noises when turned OFF, that's normal and has been discussed here before.

Peter

new the forum so still figuring out search features, sorry if i didnt see that the noises are normal

Long story short. Got a new 22 ST to replace my 20 ST. Drove it for about 700 miles and the transmission trashed itself. Quite the surprise as I had driven it really easy and have no mods. Symptoms were hard downshifts, particularly from 6 to 7 gear.

Dealer tried to replace valve body to no avail, but upon further review found metal parts in pan and replaced whole transmission.

Immediately upon getting my Explorer back after nearly 4 weeks I noticed that every time I shifted into park the parking brake was automatically applied.

After a short discussion with the dealer it was learned that this new transmission had the “recall fix” applied.

The parking brake will stay on until you shift into gear and either press the button or gas pedal.

I expect this change will becoming to all recalled Explorers in the next few months.
I was just told today by service rep that that is permanent. I was told couple of months ago there is a recall coming in September or October. I’m tired of getting the run around. I’m also tired of turning parking break of EVERY time I start my car.

Welcome to the Forum Kathy.:wave:
There is absolutely no need to manually turn the parking brake off when you start to drive. Just put it in gear and drive as normal. It will automatically release as has been mentioned here many times.

Peter

You don’t have to press anything to disable it, just drive and it will shut off

Park to drive press gas, park to reverse press gas… you can press the button if you want to turn it off but it will go off automatically my pressing on gas pedal

You don’t have to press anything to disable it, just drive and it will shut off

Park to drive press gas, park to reverse press gas… you can press the button if you want to turn it off but it will go off automatically my pressing on gas pedal
The people who turn off a e-brake manually also parallel park manually, don't use bluetooth, cruise control, backup camera or blind spot monitor, etc. LOL Old-fashioned. I can drive my own damn car. Don't need a computer telling me how to do it. LMAO Back up by putting your arm behind the passenger seat and turn around.

The people who turn off a e-brake manually also parallel park manually, don't use bluetooth, cruise control, backup camera or blind spot monitor, etc. LOL Old-fashioned. I can drive my own damn car. Don't need a computer telling me how to do it. LMAO Back up by putting your arm behind the passenger seat and turn around.
You keep complaining that you don’t want to turn it off, we’re telling you that you don’t have to… I bet you still write checks at the grocery store too

Coming from the north this seems to be a very bad idea. It might be old school thinking now, but when I learned to drive I was taught never apply the parking brake in the winter. The reason being was your brakes get warm (above 32) and if they get wet and you apply the parking brake your brakes could very well freeze and you wouldn't be able to disengage them when you wanted to leave.
Excellent post. I NEVER used parking brake in New England/Maine EVER. A mechanical linkage that becomes frozen ON is a car-stopper. Our 2022 Explorer Limited purchased in August 2022, includes the non-defeatable Parking brake in PARK. I suggest that people engage PARK when stopped, immediately push the Release-Brake button, then turn the ignition OFF. The "Parking Brake in PARK" feature is just another turd-burger we've have been required to eat... for the sake of "Safety".

I can confirm the PCM update is available. :D

I’m not a fan because I hate having to press the accelerator or the button to make my car go backwards or roll out of a parking space.

I suppose I will get used to it, but it’s less than ideal.
I agree with you. I will have a tough time getting used to this feature. I live in NYC where parallel parking is a major thing and now having to press on the accelerator will be an issue with getting in and out of tight spaces. This feature should be one that the owner should decide on... not the dealer nor Ford. I wonder if this is something that will be on all cars from here on out.

Just picked up my new 22 explorer and am completely annoyed by this "feature". This is dangerous. If I'm parked in a tight space, the car lurches or jumps and I need to hit the brakes to make sure I don't hit any nearby obstacles. I've spent hours trying to figure out why it was acting like this. I thought it was the auto-hold feature. Finally figured out it's the auto parking break and turning off the parking break before putting the vehicle in gear allows me to safely move from a stationary position. But, it appears this "feature" cannot be disabled permanently in settings and resets every time the vehicle is placed back into park. This is why there is a parking break control in the car. So when I *decide* to use the parking break, I can. This must be to appease NTHSA, but please Ford, give us a way to deactivate this poor solution.
I agree with you!!! Ford... please update it to allow us to deactivate it.

I agree with you. I will have a tough time getting used to this feature. I live in NYC where parallel parking is a major thing and now having to press on the accelerator will be an issue with getting in and out of tight spaces. This feature should be one that the owner should decide on... not the dealer nor Ford. I wonder if this is something that will be on all cars from here on out.
You do have the option to release it with the switch. Then it would solve this to alleviate your concern.

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I don't see why having to use the accelerator would be an issue. You just press on it as normal and the brake releases and you go. I've tried it several times and don't even feel the brake releasing. And as stated you can manually release it as well.

Peter

Coming from the north this seems to be a very bad idea. It might be old school thinking now, but when I learned to drive I was taught never apply the parking brake in the winter. The reason being was your brakes get warm (above 32) and if they get wet and you apply the parking brake your brakes could very well freeze and you wouldn't be able to disengage them when you wanted to leave.
I don't have the feature to test out but I would guess that after you put the vehicle in Park and the emergency brake engages, you should be able to manually disengage it again to prevent possible freeze-up.

Peter

I know you own't believe this, but at one time people were taught how to drive a car not how to let the car drive them. Those who were decent at it were and are better than the car at getting it to do things that can't be programmed. Sadly, too many people never learned how to properly drive a car and these computer controls are needed to get them to a decent level of ability.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi, I am new to the forum as we recently purchased a 2022 Ford Explorer XLT. I was wondering if the parking brake should automatically engage when shifted into park? Is there a way to turn this feature off? Thank you so much for the help! Have a great day!
Did you ever get any answers to this? Hate it. And mine likes to jump when I shift from drive to Reverse and I am engaging the parking brake when shifting.
Hate the dial shift. Hate the parking brake buttons. Hate the fact Ford think is they have to add these or what they think are safety features but only add more issues.
This is my 5th explorer and I can honestly say the first one I haven’t liked right out of the box. Should have kept the 9 year old 170,000 one I traded.

Back