• Register Today It's free!

electrical issues

ezeedee

Reaction score
City, State
Oceanside CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Eddie Bauer 4x4
so a little while back my alternator went bad, i just replaced it yesterday but the car kept dying, so i recharged battery today (tested bad so i charged it up, and it was fine), got home just fine (7 miles) today, but the battery light is still on, and the voltage on the guage is reading a little low (or mabye im just paranoid and hadnt payed attention to it before) and my clock/radio wont work. it doesnt show the time or anything on it, it worked fine before.

anyone know what could be wrong? thanks.

edit: well 150 bucks later i got new battery cables for the explorer. my old ones are corroded to **** and hacked up so they need replaced anyway, theyll be here on the 30th.

also, my new alternator, there is a single wire clip that goes on it (not power and not the voltage regulator) and it doesnt seem like the clip is seating good, and i tested my alternator and iirc the voltage regulator was at 12.17v and it was at 7a. does that sound right? i have no clue whats good or bad. i was thinking the voltage regulator should be at like 13 or higher but i have no idea really.

I think your supposed to have anywhere form 13-15volts when engine running and about 12.8 engine off. my truck voltage is always between 13.6 to 14.3 depending on load with my rebuilt alternator (about 2 months now). My old alt held 14 volts constant, but then died and went to 12.6v

my re manufactured alt tested at peak 112.3 amps. Tech said that was perfect.

until you get new cables on your truck, i wouldn't be trying to read voltages...and i hope your electrical system holds out...a short in your system is not a good thing...

if it is any consulation, black goblin had a similar problem, no power at all and he gave me a call...it turns out it was a corroded negative battery cable...;)

Back