• Register Today It's free!

Electrical - shift control module

tex_n_ct

Reaction score
City, State
Back in W. Texas at Last
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Eddie Buaer
Does anybody out there have a connector pin-out and possibly a sequence of operations (truth table) for the Electronic Shift Control Module for a first gen?

I am trying to trace some intermittent problems that look like they are related to wiring problems in the harness running along the driver side frame rail. Some idiot cut through the bundle and the wires just under the driver side door. No problem repairing the obviously cut wires, but he (?) also nicked the insulation on some others. I found this out the hard way when the rear anti-lock light would intermittently come on. After going through the rear end sensor, connector, etc., it came down to a wire that corroded into a round tube of crud inside the remaining insulation. Fourteen inches of wire, some shrink wrap and copoious quantities of verbal explorations later, the questionable system works again.

The latest manifestation came this morning - after digging out a totally buried vehicle - when the 4WD wouldn't engage. Transfer case motor fairly recently cleaned, so ruled out - at least temporarily. Checked the ESCM and LED not lit - reset and tried again - no relay click and
LED out again. The only wiring diagrams I have really suck! Basically they show that there is a module and that it has 12VDC going to it.

Comical musings in the NE bllizzard, wel at least to a southern boy who is stuck up here for another year.

Even with only 2WD, Explorers are going where others fear to tread.

The rust bucket is entering the geriatric years exhibited by things slowing down. For example the drivers side window which goes down at a rate directly related to temperature - the lower the mercury, the slower the window. In sympathy, the radio varies its volume in the same manner - lower=lower.

This is getting too long - look forward to some USABLE wiring info on the "black box".

NOTE TO MODERATOR: There are some wonderful information on the 4x4 probs available by search - however, there are so many redundant threads that it is getting very cumbersome to wade through them. Maybe time to delete some redundant postings???

tex_n_ct said:
NOTE TO MODERATOR: There are some wonderful information on the 4x4 probs available by search - however, there are so many redundant threads that it is getting very cumbersome to wade through them. Maybe time to delete some redundant postings???

I am bumping this old thread just for this quote in hopes something like this would be possible?

tex_n_ct, I'm looking for the wiring diagrams for the explorers myself. If I run across it, Ill give you the info. But I may also just buy the service manuals. They run about $100 each & to me are well worth the cost.

dreamr said:
I am bumping this old thread just for this quote in hopes something like this would be possible?
I agree in a way. Often time when yo uook for soemthing people will say. Just replace this. With no explaination on how or why to replace it. Just like . "I said it so it's good enough".
When looking for directions on how to change the ignition lock. I came up with I believe 5 pages of threads. NONE of them said how, or why. "Just replace it".
So I took it upon myself to explain step by step with pictures. It took a total of 10 minutes to do so.
Atleast explain to the people WHY you said to replace it.

I have been around forums for about 6 years now. The bigger boards are the worst. Because there is "to much" info. Some good, mostly bad.
As for purdging it. That is doubtfull as what is irrelevant to one may actually have a post or 2 in the thread that will help others.
Just narrow down you search a bit more.

After all the advice you are looking for is FREE!!
So I realy dont mind searching through 5 pages of garbage to find 1 post that might save me $100-500.

But I agree that when you are telling someone to replace something. You should at the very least explain to them WHY & HOW the part has gone bad.
If that explaination isnt there. I chalk it up to them "getting the awnser on the net" & not actually knowing how the part works or what it does. Just that someone told them to replace it & it worked so they tell everyone with a similar problem to replace the same part.

mistaken meaning

Espresso,

Thank you for your reply. I think that you may have taken my statement in a way it was not meant. I fully recognize the value of different explanations of the same problem and of the inherent problems with a non-revenue producing forum. However, my plea was not to remove ANY info that was possibly useful, only to pare down the threads that are the EXACT copies of previous threads. For example where info has been cut and pasted from one thread to another or where the answer merely says something to the effect of "that has been covered before". This type of effluvia is of no benefit to anyone other than those who have a need to see their name posted.

I hope this clarifies what Iwas trying to say and will soothe your irritation about comments on "free" interchange of info.

Two last things. As to trying to direct the format and content of peoples postings to include specific types of content, I don't think this is feasible without restraints on the educational and experiential backgrounds of ALL participants. Which would defeat the intent to provide a public forum for all people interested in our particular vehicle. Second, I have spent over four decades in the information industry, including multiple certifications in database management, and can format a query to be as exclusive as anyone else. But it is almost impossible to exclude data contained in a dataset that is duplicated when using the elementary tools available for basic searches.

Thanks,
Bob

Back