• Register Today It's free!

Electrical System Help

cualexander

Reaction score
City, State
Clemson, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
I have a 97 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD. I have two crappy 12" subwoofers right now that are connected to a 500w amp, so I thought I would upgrade to a better subwoofer. I didn't realize what I was getting into. I bought a RE x.. 15" Subwoofer which I am going to power with a Hifonics 1500W amp and I'm also getting a new component set for the front so I'll probably be looking at around 200 or 300w or so on another amp for that. I've been told thats going to put a major strain on my electrical system and I did some research and people say caps aren't going to really help. I found a 200amp alternator for around $225 which is less than the 2 caps where going to cost me anyways, but my question is do I need a new battery as well? I'd rather not have to buy a yellowtop battery to go along with it if I can at all avoid it, but if I need one where is the best place to get it? None of this stuff has been installed by the way, so I don't really know if the lights are going to dim, I'm just trying to avoid complications beforehand. Any help will be much appreciated.

I say just hook it all up and see. I have a JBL 1200.1, (2) Kenwood 200's, and a Jensen 400 all run off my stock battery and alternator. There's no point in spending extra money that you might not need to. Oh, and nice choice on the RE. I have 2 12" RE SE's.

post-243-1083016815.jpg

i had a brutus 1500D and an MTX 502 and the RMS of each together is 1680w (what i was running exactly) and then peak would be around 3100w. I ahve a stock alt and optima yellow top. You should be fina all stock

u might get dimming untill u upgrade to a better batt..theres also stereo comp 200amp alts custom made for ur car =) i can get them for like 250 =)

Back