Number4

"I'm counting to 3, then I'm getting your dad."
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Woodstock, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Ford Explorer 4.6l
So, I'm looking to add a third row to my ex, at the wrecker, there are two mountaineer donors available. One has the standard third row, the other has the electronic third row. Black leather.

Any opinions on which one I should grab?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Surprised a Mountaineer has a manual option but that is what I would go for. ELECTRIC rear seats are kind of cool until one of the cheap nylon drive gear strips. Then you are talking about several hundred dollars to fix it.

IMHO, ELECTRIC seats are a gimmick that we could live without. Fortunately both rear seats in my newly purchased 2006 Expo still work,

Manual all the way.
What color interior do you have?

We'll that's the rub. Don't tell anyone, but I have an 04. I grabbed the second row singles and console out of the 08 Mounty yesterday. The electronic 3rd row seems like a hassle to take out.
The manual 3rd row is actually out of an 05 Mounty.
Not for the stock section, I know. I wasn't sure the 08 would even fit or not. I know most of the frame is the same on the two gens.
For the sake of work, think I'll grab the 05 seats.

Currently I have the grey cloth and no third row.

Hahaha - guess my 'signature' gave away my Ex years anyway.

At least you can find late model explorers at your local Pick and Pulls. I've got 4 of them within a 50 mi radius of my home and none of them have any later models than 1999.

Yeah there's a really nice wrecking yard just south east of Atlanta. It's 53 miles from my house. The mainly have 2000 to 2008 model years. One thing about the electric third row, no power, no movement. I'd think you'd want the ability to manually flip the seats. Again, at the wrecker, no batteries. Got the 05 non electric. $65 for the whole setup. Tanks every one for the input.

Definitely get the manual 3rd row. Would be a pain to try to add/find wiring & switches & interior panels for the power goods. And the motor(s) would probably fail soon anyway.

I'm not so hip on the electric portion of the 4th gen third row, as much as I like the seat style better than the 3rd gen. Got the 3rd gen. Without power, I don't even know if one could get the electric out of the car. The passenger side is down.

Back