Emergency brake rubbing rotors when driving | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Emergency brake rubbing rotors when driving

carsnrockmusic

Reaction score
City, State
Richmond, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLT V8
New calipers, brake hose, rotors, pads, and ebrake.

The rubbing was there before I replaced the above. It's quite frustrating. It's mostly on the driver's side and the the ebrake has been adjusted as far down as possible. Engagement/disengagement seems to be working as designed. I marked the inside of the rotor with marker and it's definitely the ebrake that's rubbing and mostly on the driver's side. I'm out of ideas...anyone have a clue what it could be?

2003 Explorer XLT four door with the 4.6L

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just did some tests today and I drove with the parking brake engaged/disengaged and it sounds the same. Really hoping to fix it this weekend, and not sure if there's another adjustment I'm missing that may help me.

my 03 xlt ebrake pads tore away from the metal shoe causing noise. did you replace the ebrake pads and it still makes noise or are you just noticing the noise now?
Do the ebrakes hold when the ebrake pedal is pushed down all the way?

The ebrake pads are new. The noise was there prior to replacing everything mentioned in the OP. The ebrakes do not hold well when the pedal is pushed down. Something is off, just not sure what direction to go in next.

the cables all working ok on the e-brakes???

that is honestly what I'm wondering. Is there something on the cables I should be checking - adjustments, etc?

Wondering if it is the cables as well. The one on the passenger side of my 02 was seized in the applied position and someone just backed off the adjuster at the shoes to fix it :eek: I pried it loose with a pry bar at the shoes and greased either end of the cable where it goes into the shield. If they are set correctly the cable connection point under the car where the three cables meet should look straight and not pulling more on one cable than the other.

Back