Engine block heaters... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Engine block heaters...

Quakecom

Reaction score
City, State
97-00 HHI, SC ************ 00-02 Boston, MA********** 02-04 Augsburg, GERMANY 04-now Munich, GERMANY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Eddie Bauer
Hey,

do any of you have an engine block heater installed in your Explorers? If so, what kind do you have (radiator hose in-line, freeze-plug style etc) and would you recommend it? Also, how much were they?

Thanks.

Quakecom

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have the ford freeze plug heater. I would plug it in before I went to bed and in the morning I would have heat after 30 seconds. My electric bill went way up so I put a timer in line and only ran the heater from 4:30am to 6:30am. That should bring my elec bill back to normal.

Did you have any issues with coolant leaking ?

No my coolant level hasnt budged. I even hopped in my truck half asleep and forgot to unplug it a couple times and it didnt rip it out or cause a leak.
and it only took about 20 min to install it.

Could someone tell me what engine block heaters came as options on 1st gen. explorers? I have 94 Limited and am guessing mine is factory equipment,I'm second owner, 65K miles...Thanks

All factory block heaters were freeze plug style, and I believe 1500 watts. A factory one runs $50-60.

It has been in the single digit temps overnight here for over a week,daytime high of about 12-22 (f).
If I plug it in a while before I plan to venture out(1-3 hrs) would that help in warm up temps? Mine runs cool and takes a while to pump the heat....Thanks.

2 hours would warm the motor up considerably. If your Explorer runs cold, then it likely needs a new t-stat. If you do need one you would see a MPG increase.

Mbrooks420 said:
2 hours would warm the motor up considerably. If your Explorer runs cold, then it likely needs a new t-stat. If you do need one you would see a MPG increase.

My MPG has been sucking since the cold snap,you called that one right :thumbsup:
Any heads-up info to changing the thermostats on these 1st gens.?
Which temp t-stat would you advise, I live in N.W. US but travel interstate/nationwide/year around......Higher or lower? Thanks.

I get the factory temp. That's the temp the motor was designed to run at.

I live just south of Warsaw in Poland, and it has been down to -32c and as you can imagine it made starting look like Mission Impossible...

Can anybody tell me where I could get hold of a 220v engine block heater as it's going to get cold again.

It's either a block heater or bring the car indoors - like we had to with the dog!

Thanks

Andy.

Back